Torn between two regs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stoiclown:
Have you considered an Apeks XTX 50 with a DS4 first stage and a DIN valve. I bring up the DIN valve because it sounds like you dive in cold water and might use steel tanks or have access to HP steel tanks. My second reason for bringing up a Din valve is the ease of adding a DIN to Yoke adapter, which gives you the ability to use both setups.

I also second the DS4 with XTX50/XTX50 second and octo. Like DaAquamaster I too am pretty annoyed at the marketing and service of SP.

The Aqualung LX was my first reg however, the DS4 or any of the apeks are cold water capable, service real easy, parts are easy to find and almost never go out of stock and the fact that any of the Apeks regs have gone way deeper and longer than I probably ever will.

Apeks... nuff said

SangP

SangP:
I also second the DS4 with XTX50/XTX50 second and octo. Like DaAquamaster I too am pretty annoyed at the marketing and service of SP.

The Aqualung LX was my first reg however, the DS4 or any of the apeks are cold water capable, service real easy, parts are easy to find and almost never go out of stock and the fact that any of the Apeks regs have gone way deeper and longer than I probably ever will.

Apeks... nuff said

SangP

I like the looks of the Apeks line and can get a killer deal from my business contacts in the UK, but service in this area is the problem. One shop that pedels Aqualung says they are capable of servicing them but the reg tech himself said that he only works on a couple every year. If I could find a LDS that would service an APEKS rig appropriately then I would look more closely at them. Any KY people dive Apeks?

I had a very strong relationship that is the sole ScubaPro dealer in town, excellent people to dive with but absolute rubbish as far as sales practices go. I have a Mk2+/R190 that has done me well since I started diving over two years ago that has never given me one ounce of problems, yet they continue to want me to upgrade to what THEY think I should dive-be it the best for my particular situation/budget or not. I like AquaLung's products having used them in Europe last year and when I was in the UK I heard nothing bad about Apeks regulators at all, but it seems like the US is behind-particularly in my area-when it comes to product support of their line.

Cheers, and thanks for letting me rant...

Scuba pro is a regulator thats pretty common,very dependable, i have a mark 11 /r295 good diaphram reg same as mark17,without dry chamber
scuba pro is my chose because of service ,oceanic delta 4 is a good reg
Aqulung is coming out this year 2007 with a legend glacia thats the one i would get,
look it up at aqualung.com

Just purchased the Apeks XTX50/xtx40 setup and can't wait to get it wet. Thanks to all the valuable input from you guys.

I have heard good things about the aqua lung legend but in the end it is what you think about them and what you can afford.

One think to look into is if a LDS is using them as rentals and how well they are holding up. When I was looking for a new reg I went to my dive shop and found out which regs are holding their own as rental regs and thats what I got nothing fancy but a model which had held up well as a rental.

Not a great fan of everything ScubaPro does, but from a travel point of view, they are the best. Particularly if you are traveling the Pacific. As both are excellent regs, you might want to take a look at the entire dealer network for each, and compare size.

Dutch552:
Just purchased the Apeks XTX50/xtx40 setup and can't wait to get it wet. Thanks to all the valuable input from you guys.

A good choice. The work effort of breathing is a little bit higher than with an AL but I guess you won´t notice. Apeks is the same company as AL btw.

Spending another 120€ you can get another DS4 to get a 200% cold water approved setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom