Torn Between Two Computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 for shearwater, I don't prefer AI I like analog gauges, same with compasses...peregine is perfect for beginners though to basic tech
:smalllogo:

Don't get any dive computer that'll lock you out.

A dive guide on a recent dive got locked out because he forgot to set it to EAN 32%.
Said he realized midway through the dive and decided to vicariously dive through the diver he was guiding.

But he was locked out and had to use another dive computer from the dive center.

On two occasions I have been asked, — "Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" In one case a member of the Upper, and in the other a member of the Lower, House put this question. I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question.

- Charles Babbage, Passages from the Life of a Philosopher (1864), ch. 5 "Difference Engine No. 1"

Hello Divers,

After a long hiatus, I am getting back into diving. The inspiration is a trip to Roatan a year from now, but I plan to get started practicing and diving here in my local New England as soon as I acquire a thick enough wetsuit to get the party started.

From reading here and elsewhere, it appears desirable to have you own computer, both to keep track of all your dives and because if it is yours and not rented, your comfort level with it will only grow. As a beginner, I know I don't need all the bells and whistles, so i have been focusing on entry level models. There are two that are at just about the same price that I am stuck on.

Everyone on our Forum raves about the Shearwater Peregrine, and it looks wonderful and solid. From what I have read, a new diver could not go wrong getting this computer.

At about the same price point, one could also acquire a Suunto Vyper. As I understand it, the Vyper is good unit and adds a few things the Peregrine does not have, like a compass and the ability to add air integration at a later point, which I would enjoy so that I could monitor my air use progress. Given the legendary New England visibility, a compass seems like it would come in handy too.

A good thing to know about me is that I am not much of an upgrader. I tend to do my research, spend a bit more than bargain basement, and keep things for a long time. If I chose the Peregrine, I will not be upgrading it soon. The Vyper strikes me as something I can grow into, but perhaps at the cost of some quality and the legendary Shearwater customer support.

Any advice and/or nudges are greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Some computers have all the features but lack quality in the build. Make sure the wrist strap is sturdy otherwise you will lose your most expensive asset. The Suunto isn't a bad choice for entry level divers. Use it as a back up if you go technical. Battery changes can be expensive if it isn't user friendly. Console computers limit your configuration.

Don't get any dive computer that'll lock you out.

A dive guide on a recent dive got locked out because he forgot to set it to EAN 32%.
Said he realized midway through the dive and decided to vicariously dive through the diver he was guiding.

But he was locked out and had to use another dive computer from the dive center.
I assume he explained to the new computer what he previous dives were?

I assume he explained to the new computer what he previous dives were?
One of the nicest things about the Shearwaters is the tissue loading graph. If you spend some time watching it over the course of your diving, you can get a pretty good idea of how quickly the various compartments on and off-gas and how aggressive you might want to be should you need to change to a different computer, especially if you're doing similar profiles, such as the diving done on a liveaboard over the course of a week.

I don't think Suuntos let you input a previous dive profile...

I don't think even Shearwater lets you do that though
Yep, I don't think it does either. So how do you change to another computer during a series of dives?

Yep, I don't think it does either. So how do you change to another computer during a series of dives?

It wasn't me. It happened to the dive guide.
I guess if it happened to me, I'd do my next dive with the same person I dived with earlier and just apply a 10% to 15% conservatism profile to subsequent dives that day.

Back
Top Bottom