Topside white-balance card?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Moogyboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
hey all

Thought just occurred to me:

Consider that some of us camcorder owners might need to go with housings that have no external control for white balance. Now, since the MO for doing auto-WB is to point the camera at a white card, or something white, IS IT POSSIBLE to pre-adjust the WB topside, before sealing the camera in the housing, using a blue card? If so, is there a specific shade of blue (say, a Pantone(R) number) that would work best under most situations? It probably would not be exact, but better than nothing.

I imagine that green water would need its own card.

Thoughts welcome.

cheers

Billy S.

Moogyboy:
hey all

Thought just occurred to me:

Consider that some of us camcorder owners might need to go with housings that have no external control for white balance. Now, since the MO for doing auto-WB is to point the camera at a white card, or something white, IS IT POSSIBLE to pre-adjust the WB topside, before sealing the camera in the housing, using a blue card? If so, is there a specific shade of blue (say, a Pantone(R) number) that would work best under most situations? It probably would not be exact, but better than nothing.

I imagine that green water would need its own card.

Thoughts welcome.

cheers

Billy S.

If by experience you could determine the amount of diffusion you need for a given depth and clarity of water, it could work. You achieve roughly the same end by putting on an orange lens filter and keeping it in auto WB.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom