Top Shore Diving Destinations in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SouthSideScubaSteve

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I’m assuming I’m going to get overwhelmed with responses with Bonaire at #1, so to make it interesting: EXCLUDING Bonaire, what are your top 5 “destinations” for shore diving in the Caribbean & why??

(if you don’t think Bonaire is #1, feel free to list it where you see fit)

Thanks in advance!
SSSSteve

Curacao - same diving as Bonaire, more to do topside. Generally easier entries also but you have to drive farther between sites. Playa Kalki near Westpunt is one of the best dives I've ever done.
Grand Cayman - there's probably 2 dozen shore dives on Grand Cayman. We dove about 6. Preferred the sites north of Seven Mile Beach vs. ones in/near Georgetown.
Roatan - there's the Cocoview wall/wreck, diving at Barefoot Cay, Spooky Channel, Front Porch at AKR and probably 1/2 dozen more sites. They're spread all over the island though.
St. Croix is on my list. Supposed to be good diving both on the north shore and the pier.

that's all I've got...

I do think Bonaire is #1 for accessibility to dive sites. But not for diversity.

I have shore dived Bonaire and the Caymans, easy to find tank rentals all over and I think most rental cars have tank carriers standard.
I would caution about Roatan for shore diving, I'm heading down Saturday. I am a little disappointed that I have been unable to find any dive shop to rent us tanks. They seem to do only boat dives.

Come on .... no one else shore dives in the Caribbean??

Come on .... no one else shore dives in the Caribbean??
sure, but they all shore dive the same places.

good shore diving "destinations" simply aren't that common in the Caribbean. Some islands may have a few passable sites but aren't in any way shore diving destinations. And some islands may have some good sites in theory, but the logistics of doing it aren't practical.

My Caribbean Shore Diving "Top 5" List...

1. Bonaire
  2. Curacao
  3. Well...?
  4. Um...?
  5. Uh...?

:shocked2:

Sure, there are a handful of other places where you can shore dive, some that even have one or two great shore diving sites, but there are really no other DESTINATIONS for shore diving in the Caribbean.

Ray

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom