Top 10 wreck dives in the world?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What happened to the French Navy during WWII?
I never read anything in English about it.
It were always UK vs Germany(Atlantic) and USA vs Japan(Pacific).

I did not realize that La Royale was actually atttacked by the GB at Dakar in 1940! The subsequent captured of Toulon by the Nazi and the scuttling of your own fleet didn't help either.

What happened to the French Navy during WWII? I never read anything in English about it. It were always UK vs Germany(Atlantic) and USA vs Japan(Pacific). I did not realize that La Royale was actually atttacked by the GB at Dakar in 1940! The subsequent captured of Toulon by the Nazi and the scuttling of your own fleet didn't help either.
Yes, in 1940 the Royal Navy launched an operation, called catapult, to capture or destroy the Franch Fleet. Very few ships weren't sinked. Most of the wrecks are in Mers-el-Kébir, an Algerian* millitary zone. Later in Toulon, most of the ships** were scuttled to avoid capture during the conquest of the free French zone by the German armies (Lila operation). Some small units, especially submarines were able to escape due to their diesel engines that did not require many hours of preheating. Actually, The main mission of the Free French Naval Forces was to carry troops (up to 100 soldiers with equipment by the Casabianca, nicknamed the Ghost-Submarine) and spies. Americans sinked some units by mistake which didn't helped us.Two units are still in service (for navigation training), the Belle-Poule and the Étoile, 2 sail sister-ships. * There are many wreck, very deep ( 100 meters ~ 330 feet and more) in others places of this country. ** Many of this wrecks were later dismantled or recovered by salvage teams.

Or Truk would be a War Grave and the Arizona would be a popular dive.

When I was in Truk swimming amongst the odd bits of remains of the Japanese sailors in the wrecks, it really did strike me that only the victors get to choose what will be protected as war graves.

When I was in Truk swimming amongst the odd bits of remains of the Japanese sailors in the wrecks, it really did strike me that only the victors get to choose what will be protected as war graves.
Divers are still diving those destinated war graves eg. HMS Prince of Wales, HMS Repulse etc etc.
However, some war graves are indeed off-limited to any divers eg. USS Arizona. You can only enforce the law if it is in your territorial water. I really can't see the HM Gov will arrest any British nationals "penetration" those two war graves off the coast of Malaysia. The nearest RN base is thousand of miles away.

Yes, in 1940 the Royal Navy launched an operation, called catapult, to capture or destroy the Franch Fleet. Very few ships weren't sinked. Most of the wrecks are in Mers-el-Kébir, an Algerian* millitary zone. Later in Toulon, most of the ships** were scuttled to avoid capture during the conquest of the free French zone by the German armies (Lila operation). Some small units, especially submarines were able to escape due to their diesel engines that did not require many hours of preheating. Actually, The main mission of the Free French Naval Forces was to carry troops (up to 100 soldiers with equipment by the Casabianca, nicknamed the Ghost-Submarine) and spies. Americans sinked some units by mistake which didn't helped us.Two units are still in service (for navigation training), the Belle-Poule and the Étoile, 2 sail sister-ships. * There are many wreck, very deep ( 100 meters ~ 330 feet and more) in others places of this country. ** Many of this wrecks were later dismantled or recovered by salvage teams.
They were not well known outside France.
Arizona, Bismarck, Graf Spee, Hood, Nagato, Prince of Wales, Repulse etc etc. YES
Battles of Coral Sea, Leyte Gulf, Midway, River Plate, Solomons etc etc. YES

Divers are still diving those destinated war graves eg. HMS Prince of Wales, HMS Repulse etc etc.
However, some war graves are indeed off-limited to any divers eg. USS Arizona. You can only enforce the law if it is in your territorial water. I really can't see the HM Gov will arrest any British nationals "penetration" those two war graves off the coast of Malaysia. The nearest RN base is thousand of miles away.

Agreed. I've never backed up this tale, but....
I was working on Tioman last year and the owners of my dive shop (who dived the Repulse quite a bit; check out the Force Z documentary) told me that the prop was 'salvaged' by a Singaporean!!!!

Edit: Confirmed
http://www.scapaflow.com/reppow.html

Last edited:

wow
I know this guy. I've been diving with him off his boat. He is a great diver and skipper. His CCR unit appears to be the oldest one I've ever seen. Though I don't know much about them.

He was looking for the HMS EXETER for three years in the Java Sea. Somebody else found it. Thinking about this, I want to go back.

Disk three 022.jpg

Last edited:
There aren't that many CCR back in 1999.
Two scrubber canisters and look like source from AP Valve.
Could it be a double Inspiration?
I am probably wrong here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom