tooth / temple pain upon ascent, but not until 10 ft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granny Scuba

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Today I noticed pain at the end of my second 40 ft quarry dive (about 10 ft from the surface). After surfacing the pain lasted about 10-15 minutes and was gone.

3rd dive...same thing, but also this time the bone area above my front top teeth was numb for about 20 minutes....felt like I had anesthia.

The pain seems to becoming from where I had a root canal and crown done 6 or 8 weeks ago. The crown is on my top teeth, my right side, 3rd from the back. The temporary pain seems to be immediantly above that tooth and radiates back toward my ear. (temple area)

Questions:
1) I dove 2 weeks ago at Vortex springs and experienced no pain. Could something have happened to the tooth since then? Surely if air was trapped in my tooth it would have hurt at Vortex. Could it be infection in the tooth?

2) This tooth is in the back, why would my front teeth area go numb? (they were only numb for about 20 minutes)

3) I dont want to miss my special dive trip in a week. I can deal with the pain, (unless there is danger my tooth will explode sending shrapnel into my brain) Should I just deal with the pain and consult my Dentist after my scuba trip.

4) Would an X - Ray show if :
(a) I have an infection (b) an incomplete root canal or (c) air trapped in the crown.

5) Would going deeper be worse?

6) I wonder why I didnt feel pain on the first dive (also I only had 1 dive at Vortex....I wonder if I had made several dives also, would I have felt pain on the subsequent dives.
Thanks so much!

Last edited:
I am not a Dentist nor do I play one on TV. That being said, get thee to a dentist.

1. Yes, not necessarily, Yes.

2. Having had too much time in a dentist chair, I have had a shot that hit a nerve and wiped out all the feeling on one side of my jaw. Since you are not in a dentist chair your teeth should not go numb and since we don't know what is going on there is no guarantee the feeling will come back.

3. The tooth won't explode but if there is an infection the pressure may drive it further into your body. Get to a Dentist and find out what is going on and get a professional opinion on what to do.

4. a) Yes b) Yes, ask for two angles [I found out that a problem with a root canal was due to a branch in the root, making 2 roots in a tooth which should have had one, a different angle showed it] c) maybe

5. I would think so, you would have more pressure to relieve.

If it was my Dentist and I told him your story he would have me in his office in nothing flat.

Also call DAN they could give you insight into the problem and perhaps advice to your dentist on what to look for.

And last but not least, consider the consequences if the pain got so bad you pass out.

Bob
--------------------------
I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

Last edited:
I am not a Dentist nor do I play one on TV. That being said, get thee to a dentist.....Bob--------------------------I may be old but I’m not dead yet.

Thanks Bob, I didnt think about passing out. I am going to the dentist on Monday. If he "grounds" me.... I will just asked for him to pull that tooth. I only have 10 days to my trip.

I was just joking about the tooth blowing up and sending shrapnel thru my skull, but I did read where crowns have shattered at 60'.

Last edited:
I have been reading about Barodontalgia on this forum.

My pain (so far) has only been on ascent and just a few feet before I reach the service. It seem like the other diver's thread have had pain on descent.

tags: air trapped under crowns , cotton pellet , Barodontalgia

You could also have had a bit of a reverse block in the frontal sinus area. Were you congested at all. A reverse block in the sinuses can feel just like a root canal with no novacaine. Believe me I know! The whole side of my face went numb and felt just like some of the worst toothaches I had. Did you notice ANY popping or crackling sounds? Or feel the escape of any air on ascent or while on the surface?

Granny Scuba

Let's take these a question at a time:

1) I dove 2 weeks ago at Vortex springs and experienced no pain. Could something have happened to the tooth since then? Surely if air was trapped in my tooth it would have hurt at Vortex. Could it be infection in the tooth?

The simple answer is YES. Things can change and your experience at Vortex may not be the same as currently. I doubt that air was trapped within your tooth (because trapped air is often blamed for all dental barotrauma problems and it is not true). Could trapped air be a problem? Yes. You could have also fractured an already brittle tooth and gas or infection may have gotten in.

As Bob DBF pointed out, teeth may have more canals than expected. Sometimes they can be seen on an x-ray, sometimes they are detected during the procedure... occasionally using an operating microscope (they are that small) and sometimes they completely escape detection.

BTW, Bob, I'm giving you a big THANKS for sharing that the shot wiped out the feeling in you jaw! That's a confidence builder! However, I will admit that anesthetic paresthesias can happen albeit uncommon and rarely permanent. but I digress.

Granny, if you have your wisdom teeth out, then the tooth you are describing is the maxillary second bicuspid. It typically has one canal but can have two or even three canals. If you have your wisdom teeth in your mouth, then your root canal is in your maxillary first molar. This typically has 3 canals but can have 4 or 5. About 30% of the time there is a tiny canal right next to the canal associated with the front, cheek side canal and it typically takes a microscope to find it.

2) This tooth is in the back, why would my front teeth area go numb? (they were only numb for about 20 minutes)

Ah! Here's the rub! You're pain may not be a result of a tooth! What you are describing is a paresthesia affecting multiple branches of the main nerve to your upper teeth. Typically, there are three branches and they supply the molars, the bicuspids and the front teeth with overlap of any two branches for some teeth. Your front teeth should not go numb from a problem with an individual tooth in the molar or bicuspid positions.

This makes me think that you are experiencing a barotrauma of the maxillary sinus.

Jim, I think you're on to something. Reverse block can produce an environment that can lead to the numbness symptoms.

While we think of the sinuses sort of like caves within the face completely encased with bone, this may not exactly be true. There can be perforations within that bone that is lined with the sinus membrane only... kind of like the membrane on the inside of an egg.

If a perforation in the sinus happens to be in an area where a nerve passes, than as pressure increases within the sinus (like on ascent), the membrane expands outwards and can press on this nerve. Behind and under the eye socket and next to the molars passes all the nerves that supply feeling to your upper teeth and lips. Even farther back is the main switching center for all the nerves that supply feeling to the right or left halves of your face.

If the sinus membrane presses outwards on the nerve fibers that pass through the infraorbital foramen, then you will experience the loss of feeling of the upper front teeth, gums and lips on one side of your face. If pressure is placed farther back, you will have a paresthesia of 1/2 of your face.

Most of the time, these perforations in the sinus wall are normal variations of human anatomy. They can be a result of infections or surgery in the area however.

3) I dont want to miss my special dive trip in a week. I can deal with the pain, (unless there is danger my tooth will explode sending shrapnel into my brain) Should I just deal with the pain and consult my Dentist after my scuba trip.

OK. Here's the deal. Pain is you body trying to tell you something is wrong and that you should do things to 1) Not make it worse and 2) Try to fix it. All the posters on SB except the docs can tell you anything they want. The proper medical/dental advice is to see your dentist or ENT before diving again. So, deal with the pain at your own risk and remember that you already experienced a change from your first painless dives to the ones that now cause pain on ascent. The next thing can be long lasting numbness or the failure to detect some other medical/dental problem.

Back to Bob DBF... Actually, a tooth can implode! It's called odontocraxis... look it up. The good news is that there is no schrapnel. Getting the little pieces out is a bitch:D
If there is an infection somewhere, continued diving can drive it into deeper tissues around the tooth or sinus but not into your body... like say your liver. There are dental infections that have been known to move up into the brain. But, hey, it's just 6 inches...NOT THE WHOLE BODY!

4) Would an X - Ray show if :
(a) I have an infection (b) an incomplete root canal or (c) air trapped in the crown.

Maybe, maybe, no. Not everything is visible on x-rays if they are small enough and heck... air is invisible anyway. You're not going to see it on an x-ray.

5) Would going deeper be worse?

Would sticking you finger into a lit candle hurt? Would sticking you finger into a blow torch be worse? Actually, most barodontalgias occur on ascent. Since you get the greatest percentage change in pressure within the first 33 feet, most dental/sinus pains occur as you get closer to the surface.

6) I wonder why I didnt feel pain on the first dive (also I only had 1 dive at Vortex....I wonder if I had made several dives also, would I have felt pain on the subsequent dives.

There is no way to tell. We don't know the exact cause of the pain, i.e., cracked tooth, infection, sinus infection, sinus congestion, etc. and we don't know when the condition became significant enough to create symptoms. So, if let's say your problem was sinus congestion and it gets worse the more dives you make, then you might very well have had a problem at Vortex had you continued diving. If, on the other hand, you cracked a tooth two days after your dive at Vortex and were unaware of it and then did your more recent dives, then you had a condition that did not exist at Vortex and no comparison can be made.

So, Granny, I would have this checked out by your dentist first to double check the root canal. If he finds nothing you might want to check with the ENT and tell him that your dentist has cleared you. The numbness of your front teeth makes me think a sinus problem.

Certainly, some sinus problems can clear on their own. If you had a cold, or congestion left over from a cold or allergy attack, this could explain your symptoms.

If you don't go to the doctor's offices, you might try an oral decongestant and/or nasal spray before your next dive. You must take it long enough before the dive to be effective and you can have no contraindication like allergy to the medication or high blood pressure or taking medication that interact with the decongestants. This option is only a possibility if you know that you had congestion at the time of you dives subsequent to Vortex and if you have no condition(s) that prohibit you from taking the medications. Certainly, if you dive again and the problem recurs DON'T DIVE AGAIN until a doctor clears you.

I should also make it clear that I, as a dentist would still view a recent root canal of an upper tooth and an maxillary paresthesia with some suspicion vis a vis causality. The question I might ask myself is was the condition that caused you to seek a root canal (I'm assuming pain or sensiitivity) actually coming from a tooth or did you have an underlying sinus condition that referred pain to a tooth. It can sometimes be impossible to differentiate tooth from sinus pain. The patient points to the tooth and the symptoms indicate the same tooth. Or... could you have had two different conditions with similar symptoms that overlapped?

Finally, DB I think that you SHOULD play a doctor on TV... like a coroner :rofl3:

Dr. Stein, thank you for a wonderful answer! I agree that maxillary sinus block sounds like the most likely cause of the symptoms, and your advice is perfect.

Gosh thanks everybody!!

I still have my wisdom teeth. (so I guess it is tooth #3) The 3rd tooth from the back had a very old filling. For some reason back in April I had a bad toothache, and my regular dentist sent me for a root canal, and then my regular dentist came back and put a crown on.

I have not had any congestion, I dont have a history of real sinus trouble. I dont even think I ever have even had a sinus infection, so i may not recogonize the feeling.

The pain was in the area of the recent root canal, And today that tooth is slightly sore , but so are both teeth on either side of it. But this soreness is only noticeable when I "bite" like one does on carbon paper at the dentist.

The numb feeling above my front teeth lasted only 20 minutes.

Thanks everyone, I had already decided to go to the Dentist tomorrow, so I will post an update tomorrow night.

I went to my regular Dentist, who took X-Rays and could find nothing unusual.

Then I went to the endodonist, who also took X-Rays and saw nothing, but he did open the tooth up and drilled around, poked and prodded. He still saw nothing wrong but he put in a special packing in.

He gave me a prescription for Clyndiamycian (sp) and told me to call him after my dive in 10 days.

So I guess I will find out next July 2, somewhere off the coast of Boynton Beach if I am pain free.
:idk:

Granny Scuba,

I didn't think much would be seen on x-rays. Your endodontist was probably looking for an additional canal or some reason that the canals were not sealed as well as expected.

The soreness to bite is disconcerting. It could mean any of several things:
1) The crown was slightly high and required an additional adjustment after cementation. This happens on occasion. Sometimes the bite is OK right after cementation but then the tooth shifts or settles into a final position that includes an interference.
2) There is still some low grade, active infection at the apices (root ends) of the tooth. Re-cleaning and re-packing the root canal fill may help.
3) There could be an undetected fractured tooth. Vertical fractures of roots typically don't show on x-rays and often won't respond to root canal therapy. Sometimes, if you are lucky, the endodontist may actually see the fracture while performing the root canal. Some fractures can actually begin at the root tip and work their way up the root. Root fractures are a common reason for pulp (nerve) death or infection within the tooth.

Typical root fracture symptoms are sensitivity to cold, possibly heat, possibly sweets and to biting pressure... ONLY WITH FOOD BETWEEN THE TEETH. Just squeezing the teeth together will create no sensitivity. Often there is REBOUND sensitivity to bite... as you release pressure on something you are chewing on, there is a brief sensation.

If a fracture has allowed bacteria into the nerve chamber and canal, then a root canal may help... if the fracture is not vertical.

Clindamycin is a good choice. Hope it helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom