Tools for switching Apex ATX200 DIN to Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Blox:
I've done the conversion on a ATX100 (should be about the same). All it took was a Hex wrench/Allen key in my right and a reasonably strong left hand to hold on to the 1st stage - the shape lets you get a pretty solid grip on the 1st stage if your hands are not too small. I can't see why one should have to put the first stage into a vise to do the change either way.
I concur - have done this numerous times by hand. I only bought the SS Peterbuilt first stage tool for reg rebuilds.

all right, I'll probably pick up the Apeks yoke kit next week and give it a shot by hand...

darkstar:
DON'T clamp your ATX200 body in a vise. It's made of brass and will change shape very easily.

You can get a proper 1st stage handle at Peterbuilt. Best $24 I ever spent.

http://www.scubatools.com/PBUniversal.html

You are supposed to also use a torque wrench to avoid damaging the brass threads.

From Apeks manual
"Secure the first-stage back in the vise with the DIN connector facing upward. Attach a 6mm hex key to a foot-pound torque wrench. Tighten the DIN connector to 12 foot-pounds. Remove the first stage from the vise and remove the vise mounting tool."
if you do it by hand, tighten it very little. Brass is soft

A little Christo-lube is also a good thing to have on hand to keep the o-rings lightly lubed.
I said a LITTLE squeeze! Not "clamp it in a vise"! And to use a wood vise, or pad the jaws so there will be no marks in the brass. It takes almost NO pressure to hold the 1st stage steady to work on it. A little common sence goes a long way!

dbg40:
I said a LITTLE squeeze! Not "clamp it in a vise"! And to use a wood vise, or pad the jaws so there will be no marks in the brass. It takes almost NO pressure to hold the 1st stage steady to work on it. A little common sence goes a long way!

Marks on the outside are not the problem. Even a little pressure applied to a brass reg body with a vise can cause the body to change shape. Wouldn't matter if the vise was lined with velvet. If the body of the reg changes shape, the first stage may be ruined, so why take the chance when you can hold it in your hand or get the proper tool for $24. They even have a cheapy Deralin model for $18.

Just my opinion for what it's worth.

Cool. Just what I was looking for! Can anyone point me to this so-called conversion set? Quite curious if it's really that simple!

I'm looking for a place on the internet where I can buy it. Thanks in advance!!

P.S. Looking for the conversion from DIN to Yoke.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom