Tools for switching Apex ATX200 DIN to Yoke

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pakman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got a pair of Apex ATX200's for my tech training. I am debating whether to get a yoke conversion instead of the DIN to yoke Adapter for those recreational single tank dives where only yoke valves are available. The LDS showed me that its a straight forward process to switch out the DIN for the Yoke but required a custom tool they made to hold the 1st stage in a vice. What do other people use? I presume you can't just hold the 1st stage in your hand to tighten the yoke or DIN adapter on/off. Can you just put the 1st stage in a padded vice? Shop was nice enough to offer their workshop to switch it for me before trips. Alternatively, the shop is going to let me try this weekend a poseidon DIN to Yoke adapter which is shorter that the Apeks or SP one so maybe it won't result in too much head banging... So the trade off is replacing the DIN w/ a Yoke adapter is cheaper but might require some additional tools vs simply screwing on a DIN to Yoke Adapter but is slightly more expensive and may result in head banging...

I just put a little squeeze in a wood vise in the shop to change mine. You don't have to kill it, your'e not building a battleship

Another trick I've used is cut an old HP hose down to about 3" long screw it into ur HP port and that gives you a little extra leverage for those of us who don't have a vice handy.

Alex

DS tank wipe, ah, thanks makes sense. actually the gadget the lds had was basically two thick bars that were threaded which fit into the HP ports and with the ends flatten and bent to fit into a vice. A bit overkill I thought.

I use and old C02 cartridge to hold the first stage. Works great and cost about nothing and you can carry it in a save a dive kit.

DON'T clamp your ATX200 body in a vise. It's made of brass and will change shape very easily.

You can get a proper 1st stage handle at Peterbuilt. Best $24 I ever spent.

http://www.scubatools.com/PBUniversal.html

You are supposed to also use a torque wrench to avoid damaging the brass threads.

From Apeks manual
"Secure the first-stage back in the vise with the DIN connector facing upward. Attach a 6mm hex key to a foot-pound torque wrench. Tighten the DIN connector to 12 foot-pounds. Remove the first stage from the vise and remove the vise mounting tool."

if you do it by hand, tighten it very little. Brass is soft

A little Christo-lube is also a good thing to have on hand to keep the o-rings lightly lubed.

great link darkstar! thanks

I've done the conversion on a ATX100 (should be about the same). All it took was a Hex wrench/Allen key in my right and a reasonably strong left hand to hold on to the 1st stage - the shape lets you get a pretty solid grip on the 1st stage if your hands are not too small. I can't see why one should have to put the first stage into a vise to do the change either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom