Too shallow to get narced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
The rapid and shallow breathing would indicate CO2 narcosis from overworking. Perhaps you had to kick to go down or were fumbling with your camera. If that was the case, a couple of deep, slow breaths would have cleared your head at 80 feet.

@freeflowigb, This seems a likely explanation. Although most gasses we breathe (Helium is a notable exception) cause narcosis, different gasses have different narcotic effects. The narcosis from carbon dioxide is characterized by diminished motor coordination, which is consistent with your description of "uncoordinated actions."

Consideration of CO2 and overworking brings to mind your mention of a 1-knot current. That's a very strong current. (Most people overestimate current. You can estimate it by seeing how long it takes an object driven by the current to move 15 feet, the distance of a basketball free throw, a distance most people can reasonably estimate. In a 1-knot current, an object will drift 15 feet in about 9 seconds.) If you descended and experienced the excitement of your first wreck dive in such a current or even one half as strong, then @MaxBottomtime's diagnosis seems even more on point.

Perhaps I have missed something but why were you digging in the sand? Were you looking for something?

Perhaps I have missed something but why were you digging in the sand? Were you looking for something?

I don’t know. I guess I thought that was the correct thing to do in my state of confusion lol. Like I said I don’t remember much from that dive

@freeflowigb, This seems a likely explanation. Although most gasses we breathe (Helium is a notable exception) cause narcosis, different gasses have different narcotic effects. The narcosis from carbon dioxide is characterized by diminished motor coordination, which is consistent with your description of "uncoordinated actions."

Consideration of CO2 and overworking brings to mind your mention of a 1-knot current. That's a very strong current. (Most people overestimate current. You can estimate it by seeing how long it takes an object driven by the current to move 15 feet, the distance of a basketball free throw, a distance most people can reasonably estimate. In a 1-knot current, an object will drift 15 feet in about 9 seconds.) If you descended and experienced the excitement of your first wreck dive in such a current or even one half as strong, then @MaxBottomtime's diagnosis seems even more on point.

I think you are right that I might be overestimating the current. The 1 knot was the guide’s estimation, but indeed as I stopped kicking I visibly saw that I was moving back along the sea floor. The particulate matter was also flying quite violently.

I use ScubaPro g260 with mk25 FS

The "uncontrolled" free flow is most likely due to the Venturi effect in the second stage. There is a "Dive/Pre-Dive" lever on the second stage (in addition to the cracking pressure knob) that turns the venturi on and off. The ONLY time that the venturi lever should be turned to the ON/Dive position is when the second stage mouthpiece is in your mouth. If the mouthpiece is out of your mouth, the slightest pressure on the purge button will make the venturi come into place causing the strong free flow. To stop this strong free flow, put your thumb on the mouthpiece opening, turn the second stage so the mouthpiece is facing down and turn the venturi lever to the "Pre-Dive" position. Important rule to prevent this rapid free flow: "When mouthpiece is in mouth, turn the venturi level to "Dive" position. If mouthpiece is out of the mouth, turn the venturi level to the "Pre-Dive" position.

Summary:
When I am about to go underwater and the mouthpiece is in my mouth, I turn the cracking pressure knob all the way out to the easiest breathing setting and the Venturi lever to the "Dive" position for the Venturi to be in effect. When you are on the surface and need to take the mouthpiece out of your mouth, turn the knob in all the way and the Venturi lever to the "Pre-Dive" position before taking the mouthpiece out of your mouth.

Note 1: The regulator should be stored with the cracking pressure knob turned ALL the way OUT when the regulator is not pressurized to ease the pressure on the spring and the rubber seat.

Note 2: The Scubapro G260 has an additional feature to save the second stage seat during storage and when the regulator isn't under pressure. Before you put away your regulator to store it, press and turn the purge button slightly to lock it in the open position. Press the purge button slightly when you put the regulator on the scuba valve prior to turning the air on so the regulator won't leak air. This feature is very good in preventing the wearing out of the second stage seat but should be used properly. If you forget to press the purge button to return it to its closed position, the second stage will free flow. If this happens, no problem, just press the button slightly and it will release and close the second stage valve.

Yes, you were narced at 80FSW because everyone is narced at that depth. Even the people who claim they weren't narced were narced.

Narcosis 101
-or-
The sublime art of becoming a cow...

Narcosis can be felt or not felt. It's like being stupid: not enough people realize that they're stupid. The ones who know it compensate and often avoid doing stupid things. The clueless ones are always in danger of letting their stupid show. You felt it, which is a good thing. It will help you dial in that limitation as you dive.

But when does narcosis start? Where is that line? Unfortunately, there is no line, as narcosis is cumulative and really starts on the boat as you gear up. No, not N2 narcosis, but dive narcosis, or the sublime art of becoming a cow. It's a combination of task overloading, fun distractions, gear inundation, and nitrogen narcosis as you go deeper. If you think of it as a degradation of your intellect, it will make more sense. So, let's detract IQ points as we go... You lose 10 or so when you don your gear. The more complicated and unfamiliar the more points you need to take off. Some tech divers lose 15 0r 20 points here, and they need it the most. You lose another 10 points when you splash. Fearful or apprehensive divers lose more. Task loading, like trying to keep up with a buddy who's going too fast will take another 5 IQ points. Oh my. There goes my Mensa membership! Now let's factor in the Martini effect. Some say that every atmosphere you descend is like drinking a martini. I kinda like that analogy. I deduct another 5 points for every atm I dive. 80ft is pretty darn near 3 atms, so let's round up, er down. That's another 15 IQ points gone.

10+10+5+15= 40 IQ points lost and you're feeling good about it! The average Joe starts with 100, so now he's down to 60 and doesn't feel a thing thanks to narcosis. A few more feet, add an activity like bug hunting or photography, or cold, or dark, or add them all together and bingo, you have the IQ of a cow. Moo!

But wait, why aren't you stumbling? It's hard to fall when you're floating. But, but, you're not slurring your words! No, you're not. You're not speaking either. The two main clues to let you know that you're under the influence are gone. So of course, many people don't realize they're narced or just how narced they actually are. That's the sneaky, sneaky thing about narcosis. It's a dangerous aspect, too.

No, you can't inure yourself to narcosis, but you can prepare yourself for when the caca hits the propeller. Training helps. Muscle memory allows you to make decisions quickly, because you already have things thought out and practiced. But, encounter a new problem, and you may not have the mental juice to cogitate quickly enough to survive. Cows have suboptimal problem-solving skills.

So, the next time you hear someone brag that they never get narced, just smile to yourself. You know you can't convince them otherwise, because we are a society that relies on their feels, not logic and science. Also, remember them, because they might not be the best choice for a buddy if you're going deep. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.

1677421879727.png

Yes, you were narced at 80FSW because everyone is narced at that depth. Even the people who claim they weren't narced were narced.

Narcosis 101
-or-
The sublime art of becoming a cow...

Narcosis can be felt or not felt. It's like being stupid: not enough people realize that they're stupid. The ones who know it compensate and often avoid doing stupid things. The clueless ones are always in danger of letting their stupid show. You felt it, which is a good thing. It will help you dial in that limitation as you dive.

But when does narcosis start? Where is that line? Unfortunately, there is no line, as narcosis is cumulative and really starts on the boat as you gear up. No, not N2 narcosis, but dive narcosis, or the sublime art of becoming a cow. It's a combination of task overloading, fun distractions, gear inundation, and nitrogen narcosis as you go deeper. If you think of it as a degradation of your intellect, it will make more sense. So, let's detract IQ points as we go... You lose 10 or so when you don your gear. The more complicated and unfamiliar the more points you need to take off. Some tech divers lose 15 0r 20 points here, and they need it the most. You lose another 10 points when you splash. Fearful or apprehensive divers lose more. Task loading, like trying to keep up with a buddy who's going too fast will take another 5 IQ points. Oh my. There goes my Mensa membership! Now let's factor in the Martini effect. Some say that every atmosphere you descend is like drinking a martini. I kinda like that analogy. I deduct another 5 points for every atm I dive. 80ft is pretty darn near 3 atms, so let's round up, er down. That's another 15 IQ points gone.

10+10+5+15= 40 IQ points lost and you're feeling good about it! The average Joe starts with 100, so now he's down to 60 and doesn't feel a thing thanks to narcosis. A few more feet, add an activity like bug hunting or photography, or cold, or dark, or add them all together and bingo, you have the IQ of a cow. Moo!

But wait, why aren't you stumbling? It's hard to fall when you're floating. But, but, you're not slurring your words! No, you're not. You're not speaking either. The two main clues to let you know that you're under the influence are gone. So of course, many people don't realize they're narced or just how narced they actually are. That's the sneaky, sneaky thing about narcosis. It's a dangerous aspect, too.

No, you can't inure yourself to narcosis, but you can prepare yourself for when the caca hits the propeller. Training helps. Muscle memory allows you to make decisions quickly, because you already have things thought out and practiced. But, encounter a new problem, and you may not have the mental juice to cogitate quickly enough to survive. Cows have suboptimal problem-solving skills.

So, the next time you hear someone brag that they never get narced, just smile to yourself. You know you can't convince them otherwise, because we are a society that relies on their feels, not logic and science. Also, remember them, because they might not be the best choice for a buddy if you're going deep. Denial is not just a river in Egypt.
That was one impressive read! Thanks !

Like I said I don’t remember much from that dive
This for sure is one of the signs of nitrogen narcosis.
Exactly.

So @freeflowigb I would learn from this experience (And I think you have already :) ). Nitrogen narcosis is a very serious threat to divers who venture into the deep. Lack of situational awareness including not knowing how deep they are, how much air they have, what are they doing there in the first place, can all cause very serious and potentially life threatening conditions. So please be careful.

This for sure is one of the signs of nitrogen narcosis.

Exactly.

So @freeflowigb I would learn from this experience (And I think you have already :) ). Nitrogen narcosis is a very serious threat to divers who venture into the deep. Lack of situational awareness including not knowing how deep they are, how much air they have, what are they doing there in the first place, can all cause very serious and potentially life threatening conditions. So please be careful.

I appreciate this. This was the first time I had this happen to me. I was well aware of NN, reading and hearing about it, how it feels like being increasingly drunk, but in retrospect, it is amazing how it creeps on you in such an unnoticeable manner. And the sleepiness - that is the part I forgot to mention, but it was a bit dream-like hanging over the wreck now that I think about it.
I think I will enrol in the Nitrox course to mitigate this in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom