Too Much Rust?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
These are my beloved LP85s. They're the OMS version, born in 1998. Is this a worrisome amount of rust?

20160904_121303.jpg
20160904_121249.jpg
20160904_121240.jpg
20160904_121245.jpg

It's really hard to tell from the photos. What is the rings of white surrounding the areas of rust? Did you sand or shot last that area?
As a viper if those came to me and I questioned it (which the area around it that looks sanded down raises flags) I would tell you that I need to send them to hydro to assess.

Not likely. I had similar problems with a couple LP98's, which made me come to dislike finishes of this sort. I sanded out the rust, put on a zinc primer, then painted over the primer. I also took those big round drills that you make to cut circular holes like for door knobs and drilled a BUNCH of different size holes (kit come with different sizes) in that boot. It is WAY too tight and does not drain worth a damn. I put a chunk of stiff foam on the inside so it could not collapse and used a drill press. Boot drains much better now and can be removed more easily for inspection. It used to take a hammer and some choice swearing.

The white, and the silver on top, is the paint job. Faber tanks are not hot dipped. Scraped and lightly sanded, not sand blasted.

Yeah, those boots suck. I was going to drill holes too, but now that they're doubled up again the boots don't go back on. One day though.

I chipped off all the flaky pain, sanded with course and fine, gave them a MEK wipe down, spray painted a zinc spray and a clear coat. Hopefully the finish will hold up.

Rust like that appears to be less than 0.001" deep. Sand off, clean with alcohol, prime, paint.

The white dots are high points in the paint and primer. They signify that they have corrosion under them. I had similar

Personally I would remove the paint, treat with anti rust agent and take them for inspection prior to painting, so at least you are being transparent. After that as others have said a Zinc primer and re paint the area.

I feel like you're telling me to keep them :).

I wouldn't worry about that. Now, what's going on in the inside.. VIP them.

All of my hot dipped galvanized Worthingtons are rusted way worse than those. They pass hydro just fine. Keep diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom