Too Much Air in Drysuit Feet

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael Guerrero

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey All,

I have a problem. I'm diving a Viking Xtreme drysuit with integrated boots. My problem is at times the boots get too much air in them and balloon up. When that happens, my feet move around and get very sloshy in the boot, the spring strap rubs against my heel, and I get a blister. It's also harder to fin with sloshy feet.

I really just want to cut the boot off, get ankle seals, and wear some regular 7mm boots. But, that sounds expensive.

I am thinking of ordering some gaiters to hopefully prevent as much air getting into my feet. I spend time head-down looking into cracks or holes in wrecks, etc.

Thoughts/suggestions? If you want to tell me to improve my technique, manage the bubble better, and not let air in my feet then consider it already said and that there's no need to post it.

Thanks,

Mike

You've pretty much answered your own question. Try the gaiters.

The only other suggestion I have is to try to fill in the boots with thick insoles and thick socks.

Try something called "fin keepers". Google it, I think trident makes them but maybe others as well. Pretty sure u can find it on amazon. It costs less than $10 but does the trick for me since it keeps good snug of the integrated boot around the ankle and prevents the fins to pop off. Simple and inexpensive.

+1 for the fin keepers... I was having similar issues with my boots (integrated turbo soles) feeling like they were going to come off and the fin keepers keep everything snug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds like the boots are the wrong size. I needed gaiters with my OS suit. Ordered my HOG with a size smaller and proper calf measurements. Gave the gaiters to my GF as I don't need them.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

thanks guys. ordered the fin keepers and some gaiters. Hopefully all this will keep the boot compressed and the calves tight. This is a suit I am buying from a friend so options are limited.

Be careful with gaiters, they don't keep air out of boots. They slow down air move into boots only. Once air gets there, gaiters slow down air from coming out too. I think they make things worse in your case. Definitely try fin keepers. Most Baue divers use them with turbo soles.

Be careful with gaiters, they don't keep air out of boots. They slow down air move into boots only. Once air gets there, gaiters slow down air from coming out too.

True, but they do keep air from accumulating around your calves/ankles. Even though air can still get to your feet, a lot less air can get to that end of the suit in general, which helps me tremendously in maintaining buoyancy control.

The loose-fins feeling is generally my unmistakable clue that air has gotten to the feet, and I always feel like the fins could just pop off, but I've wondered if they actually could. I use spring straps, so I suspect that while my feet are sloshing around loosely in inflated boots, the fins are probably more secure than ever due to the increased boot size. Is this correct that it's just a feeling that the fins could come off, or does it actually happen? Sorry for the slight hijack, but I figured it's related enough to be relevant.

Is this correct that it's just a feeling that the fins could come off, or does it actually happen? Sorry for the slight hijack, but I figured it's related enough to be relevant.

I don't know, but between my 1989 Viking sport and the Viking Pro I bought a year or so ago they added little extra ridges on the heels to keep the fin straps in place.

Another vote for gaiters. They helped me with a less than perfect fit on a used dry suit. My suit fits my girth but is too tall by a few inches and the lower calf's were expanding. The rock boots controlled the D/S on the feet and ankles. The combination saved me from messing with ankle weights.

Back
Top Bottom