Too Many lights

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for all the help! Good or Bad, I ordered a focusable HID Halcyon 9/21 today $$$$. We went to ORONOGO near Joplin Mo. this weekend. since captain john put a bubbler (like a fish tank) in the water it was 66 deg. at 100ft & 25ft viz. We also go to Mermet Springs in Ill. They have a BOEING 727 to dive through, & for the first time, this weekend we are going to BLUE HOLE in New Mexico about a 8 hour drive from Wichita Ks. again thanks for the help.

In limited viz, it is possible to have too much light and a wide beam is often a negative as it just creates lots of back scatter than washes everything out.

I've seen a few posts abou having too much light, but never understood how that was possible. Of couse I got to experience that last week. 10 vis at best with a ton of particulate, I was not that fond of my UK HID in those conditions. It was like driving in the fog with your high beams on.

and depending on where you are diving, tropics etc too much light will scare all night creatures away....sometimes less is more. Cheers

We often dive in 10' of less of vis. Having owned a 10 watt fixed focus Salvo HID and now a 21 watt Salvo HID there is no comparison when it comes to punching through the murky water. I will never own a light that is less than 21 watts. It can work in all circumstances and shines bright in low vis. I have used it in the tropics for both day and night dives with no issues since the beam can be spread out.

For a smaller 10 watt or so light the fixed focus does have one benefit and that would be size. The fixed light head is very small. I really liked the 10 watt HID, but wound up giving it away when I got the 21 watt HID.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom