Too many divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

see attached picture of nice fern like sea creature, Hydroids:

Land Ferns are nice to touch, hydroids, are a real experience.

DORSETBOY:
Are large numbers of divers just as damaging as overfishing and pollution on coral reefs?

Apart from the damage caused by poor bouyancy and stray fin tips, as divers could we be just as damaging by large numbers in the water at the same time on coral reefs? An example I would use would be Ko Tao in Thailand, the inshore reefs each regularly receive as many as several hundred divers per day in high season. I'm told that you used to be able to see reef sharks regularly there but they seem to have been scared off. Also territorial fish such as tittan triggerfish seem to behave more aggressively than elsewhere.

Not as damaging, but certainly damage is done. Frustrates me every time I see someone with the bouyancy control of a brick and the finning style of an outboard motor thrashing around on a reef. Makes me wonder how long you've been able to get a c-card out of a cracker-jack box.

Not sure if just being in the water is 'damaging', but certainly over time I have seen divesites where there is less to see because much of the sealife has departed for quieter waters.

I expect things could get worse in some areas, with things like those helmets that you wear that supply air from the surface and let you go for a walk along the reef. I truly hope that is a fad that doesn't catch on.

Krisscuba:
I am glad you are in scottland.

Sounds like you are a boot/low time diver.

Why don't you become the first to turn in your c-card and sell your gear?

sorry, can I have a translation in english please? what's a boot/low time diver?!!

AN answer to the question posted by "Deep6diver":
"when was the last time you went diving and didnt touch a thing? when was it you traveled thousands of miles to do it?"

Yesterday

Last summer in Galapagos, and I'm going again this summer to Galapagos.

Many dive destinations do not allow touching or taking of any kind, and the penalty is steep for the violation. Unless you are refering to a bumping accident of reef damage, you are in the wrong here. An unintentional accident is still wrong, practice your bouyancy skills in a pool before you travel.
You sound as if you have an intention of touching, and this is where I feel you need to change your mode of thought. Giving you the benefit of the doubt, I will assume that you mean one finger bouyancy control, but this is not how it sounds.
If you intend to intentionally touch, please take a class to learn the extent of the damage that you will do to the aquatic life and the potental harm that you could do to yourself. You will not turn into a "bunny hugger", but you will become more aware of the realm of life around you when you are in the oceans of the world.

Telling someone not to touch is not going to prevent the act from happening, however, educating people on the actual damage being done will at least raise the awareness of the harm being done. Have a great time in that class, and bring a few friends with you.

Matthew J D'Avella

Have to agree with you Liokai, I saw another instructor (I'll avoid naming him to spare his blushes!) who intentionally decided to touch a patch of coral underwater at night with his hand.
His hand consequently blew up like a balloon and he spent 2 weeks out of the water. After seeing that I've never been inclined to see what something feels like on a reef!

The difference in the condition of the reefs in the Key and the reefs in the Dry Tortugas are striking. The Tortugas are pretty much considered to be part of the same reef system, but they are under far less diver pressure due to their remote location. I know that the Keys reefs are also under environmental pressures (run off, sewage, etc.) but the differences in both reef condition and animal life are very striking. Not too many people outside of the Southeast US seem to know about the Tortugas and the great diving there and that might just be the way to keep it. One of the people on our last trip out there (a DS owner that we will no longer do business with) told us about the times that he pulled himself along the reef, in the Tortugas, when the currents got to be too much for him. I thought that the boat captain was going to get the spearguns from below decks and shoot him. That area is probably what the Keys were like 10 years ago and I hope it stays that way.

Back
Top Bottom