Too many divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DORSETBOY

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Are large numbers of divers just as damaging as overfishing and pollution on coral reefs?

Apart from the damage caused by poor bouyancy and stray fin tips, as divers could we be just as damaging by large numbers in the water at the same time on coral reefs? An example I would use would be Ko Tao in Thailand, the inshore reefs each regularly receive as many as several hundred divers per day in high season. I'm told that you used to be able to see reef sharks regularly there but they seem to have been scared off. Also territorial fish such as tittan triggerfish seem to behave more aggressively than elsewhere.

DORSETBOY:
Are large numbers of divers just as damaging as overfishing and pollution on coral reefs?

Divers do cause damage, but it's generally localized to small, heavily used sites... like the (oops!) Sanctuary Preservation Areas in the Florida Keys National Marine Sanctuary. Areas like this are off limits to fishing, but are chock full of poorly driven, ill-maintained boats and their associated "mob" of visitors. Analogies on land would be the Yosemite and Yellowstone Parks, and for you Texans Enchanted Rock State Park.

It's very difficult to quantify direct effects of divers on reefs, as large numbers of divers tend to go hand-in-hand with deteriorating water quality, invasive exotics, disease/pathogen introduction, blah blah blah...

Oddly, the best regulating influences on many heavily used dive spots are the dive boat operators. Divemasters will have rules like "no gloves", minimum distance from corals, and rigid dive routes. They may also check you on surfacing to see if you collected anything.

Even with all the official and unofficial rules in place, too many divers will eventually degrade most marine habitats. That's why there are so-called "research areas" in certain places now, where people aren't allowed to dive, or even take their boat near. If you ever get the chance to dive one of these sites (or even near it), you'll almost always note how much prettier it is than where the cattleboats are.

Divers can damage habitat function via direct contact, indirect contact (siltation/turbulence effects), and don't forget all those dang bubbles! A lot of fishes are either attracted or scared off by bubbles, and that alters the population structure and whatever cascades down from that. Nobody likes being blinded by flash photos either... I think I just alienated all the photographers, who incidentally tend to be the most ecologically-sensitive divers. My bad.

DORSETBOY:
No. In addition to Archman's excellent comments, it must be noted that the largest coral reef systems in SE Asia are heavily threatened and affected by e.g. fishing with dynamite sticks and the like. Worldwide, pollution from pesticides and fertilizer used in agriculture on the coast - and overfishing - is an even greater threat.

One might even argue that divers contribute to preserving coral reef systems as they give local populations a financial incentive to keep their reefs pristine. Of course, divers do adversely affect reefs, which is why bouyancy control and proper dive boat habits (and proper moorings) are so important. They just affect the global reef system less than others, and the sum total in many areas would be positive.

deep6diver:
If I ever get to go dive on the great barrier reef, I'm warning you right now, I'm going to touch it.

The Great Barrier Reef in Australia is precisely where the largest GWS in the world can be found. There are reports of them swallowing divers whole, and leaving only the fins behind, like you or I would leave the tail of a shrimp.

:)

I do not foresee a problem with "too many divers."

I do see a problem with "too many spearfishermen."

deep6diver:
If I ever get to go dive on the great barrier reef, I'm warning you right now, I'm going to touch it.

i hope you are joking.

it it really that hard not to touch. if it is i hope you are not married, the look no touch rule might get broken.

i want to see the reefs when i'm 60 so i can take my grand kids there....i'm only 23 now so the reefs need to last a long long time. plus i want my grea great great grand kids to see what i see.

Go see the new Imax movie Coral Reef Adventure (http://www.coralfilm.com/)
it really shows the damage to reefs. cool movie.

deep6diver:

I'm guessing that you are kidding.

I once watched a DM deal with a diver who insisted upon smacking eels on the tail to watch them shoot out of their holes. During the surface interval the DM said to the diver (in front of the entire boat) that "if he wanted to pet an eel that he should start with the head". Unless you plan on eating it, try not to harm it. Same rule applies to the coral.

Matthew

I am glad you are in scottland.

Sounds like you are a boot/low time diver.

Why don't you become the first to turn in your c-card and sell your gear?

deep6diver:
Go ahead - the fire coral is all soft and fuzzy like a kitten. Rub some on your arse while you're at it - it's a feeling you'll never forget.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom