Too many cameras, not enough time!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm looking for a new digital camera. The main functions I want from it are continuous video capability without having to reset every few minutes (my current camera requires that), long battery life, compact, easy to use, and has an underwater housing rated to at least 130 fsw. I've looked at the Sony DSC N2 and some of the Canons, but there are just way too many choices. I'm also finding conflicting reviews on some of the features. I don't want to spend that kind of money ordering something online (none of this is available locally) only to have to return it in a few days because it doesn't fit my needs. BTDT! I've searched through some of the threads here without much luck either. So, please advise or send me the links to the threads that already exist. Oh, and I'm trying to keep the cost below $600. Thanks.

My recommendation is the Canon A570is. It will do VGA video (30fps) up to 4GB. The A570 also has full manual controls, and a housing that can accept wide angle lenses.

A570 $230
WP-DC12 housing $170

Inon wide angle lens $259
Inon wide angle lens adapter $60

If you are going to add a wide angle lens and use a Canon housing then rule out the A630 and A640 as the Canon housing has a rectangular lens port and Inon has advised me they will not make an adapter for it. You must get the Ikelite housing to use a wet-mount wide angle or macro lens with these cameras.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom