Too Cold to Snorkel in Kauai

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gussy

Contributor
Reaction score
Would it be too cold to snorkel in Poipo in mid-April? How about dive with just a 3mm suite? Someone told me that the temperature is 75 to 80...is this accurate? 75 is kind of too cold for kids on beach.

Thanks!

the water temprature is currently 75-77 degrees. we provide snorkel and dive tours daily on the south shore of kauai and find that the water is fine for most people (we provide 3mm shorties or full suits for the tours). conditions are great right now and if you dive while you are here, you will definetly get to hear the whales singing. there are a several great snorkeling locations on the south shore (poipu) and would be happy to help you if you need assistance.

mahalo :)

Last edited:
Hey Gussy,

I just got your PM and sent you one back.

Air temp and water temp should be great for a beach day for kids in April. I would just load up on the sunscreen.

Here on the Big Island the water is certainly brisk right now when you get in, but feels great after a few moments. Use a 3mm shorty pretty much year round. On a warm sunny day it is too warm out of the water and you want to get in!

February water temps 77F surface, 75F down forty feet. I would expect by April it will have warmed a couple degrees.

.....75 is kind of too cold for kids on beach....

I am of the firm belief that kids don't have fully developed nerve endings! :):):)

The picture below was taken here in Maine on a day when the the water temperature was probably 65 and the air 68 or so!

kidsonbeach.jpg

When we were kids, our mom would take us to the beach several days a week. I never remember NOT going in the water! It's just what you're used to.

Last edited:
Hmm...I guess I'm too much of a weakling! That's why I don't dive in Monterey...couldn't stand the cold.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom