Tons of photos/where to start/thanks for all the help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My workflow -
Lightroom:
- download to main hard drive with auto backup to external hard drive
- tag with Xs for totally crappy or test shots and a chosen colour for those I want to share
- delete all the X'd images
- go to Library grid view, select images in batches as much as possible and keyword things...doing it this way is saving me an enormous amount of time over doing it the other ways I tried.
- pick the coloured images I want to process for the web or any other immediate action and zip 'em through
- for web - export with a preset to 650 on the longest side, 72 and 65%
- batch 'em in Photoshop for any sharpening I want to do and to add my name, logo, border, copyright etc

hi again guys when i do my editing in photo shop whats the best format to save the finished picture in, i will maybe print a couple and then share some on line or perhaps put them on flicker with the rest of my good pictures

thanks guys

Find the de-backscattering feature of your photoshop program, sooner or later it will be needed.......

hi again guys when i do my editing in photo shop whats the best format to save the finished picture in, i will maybe print a couple and then share some on line or perhaps put them on flicker with the rest of my good pictures

thanks guys

Save everything in two files one: "Finished" all pictures @ 300dpi 8.5x11 in TIFF! Two: "Web ready" pall pictures @ 72dpi 8.5x11 in JPG! Then you have a print file and a web file for each picture! BTW DVD's only have a life of about 3 to 10 years so archive carefully!

i'd add to the above post.
Never overwrite your originals (only delete the really crap ones), then store your finished and "web format" versions in differnet directories. [i actually just store in JPG and for web save at about 640/480 pixels and the main ones stay at full res - but same principle as above]

Backup in at least 2 different places (so you have at least 3 copies) as hard drives/CD and DVDs can all fail at some point.

I do not work on originals, only on copies.

I save my web stuff as jpegs, quality between 7-8, 72 dpi (which really doesn't matter but does help reduce the file size), max side 650-700 pixels and file size as close to 100kbs as possible as some ppl are still on dialup. Don't forget to change to sRGB if you haven't already.

I save my "to print" files however the print house wants them. Most want jpeg, so I save at quality 10 at the size I want printed and at the dpi (now it does matter) they request, usually between 200-300. Again, many print houses want sRGB files but some do want RGB, so read the directions to help get the best prints possible :wink:

I save my worked on files as psds. From those psds I can then adjust any sizes for any outputs as above. I've never saved as TIFFs, but they work just fine, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom