Tonight's outage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Chairman

Chairman of the Board
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Tonight's outage of about an hour and a half seems to be due to human error... not ours, but our ISP. I apologize for the inconvenience and this had NOTHING to do with our server crapping out of us.

whew... i thought it was because El gave me all his passwords and told me to cut the yellow wire!

good to hear whatever the problem is fixable (and not SB's fault) :multi:

Thanks for the word Doc.

I was wondering why I got booted off. I didn't say anything too bad.
Glad it was not the server.

You know, I called about ONE server (our mail and some other significant sites like Alcina's) and they asked me about the other. Well as I was waiting news on the one, I was doing some maintenance on THE SB Server when I saw the "System Halt" message. We had an order in to backup the server we were on up until last night, and obviously he was taking the WRONG one down. CRAP! I called and argued a bit, as he thought he HAD the right server, and I patiently explained to him that SB is DOWN and that forget everything else: THIS was important. Well, a couple of hours later, we are finally up again. We are stable and that is good.

Never, ever cut the red wire...! :eek:

You know, I called about ONE server (our mail and some other significant sites like Alcina's) and they asked me about the other. Well as I was waiting news on the one, I was doing some maintenance on THE SB Server when I saw the "System Halt" message. We had an order in to backup the server we were on up until last night, and obviously he was taking the WRONG one down. CRAP! I called and argued a bit, as he thought he HAD the right server, and I patiently explained to him that SB is DOWN and that forget everything else: THIS was important. Well, a couple of hours later, we are finally up again. We are stable and that is good.

ok, this is why i need El because all im reading is blah blah blah....im so IT stupid! :lotsalove:

and Alcina and DD... im sure he said the yellow wire.... he's still in the country so i can ask him :wink:

ok, this is why i need El because all im reading is blah blah blah....im so IT stupid! :lotsalove:

and Alcina and DD... im sure he said the yellow wire.... he's still in the country so i can ask him :wink:

A sentence into the explanation I left to get another cup of coffee.

It's simple.

Right now there are two servers running the :sblogo: Forums! There are others handling things like mail and such.

We are trying to increase the number of servers handling the Forums to three, with two of them being web servers and the other sequestered AWAY from the internet handling our database. One web server will take half of the load and let the other one handle the rest. This is called "Load Balancing" and it will make us a lot faster.

We have been frustrated for almost a year now with having bad hardware on one server, that somehow only WE could see it was bad. We finally got the company leasing our servers to us to agree and to replace the one bad server. We got it back in late January or so. We have been working on it, but trips to Russia and Chicago makes things slower for Howard and I. When we got the complaints last week, we focused on the NEW server and got it finished. We tested it through the weekend, and finally we made it live Sunday Evening. This NEW server has all the latest software and security tweaks and we need to do the same to the OLD server. Of course, before we do ANYTHING to it, we want a back-up. Last night, through sheer boneheadedness, they pulled the wrong server: our NEW one! Our ON LINE RIGHT NOW server.

As with any human endeavor, mistakes are bound to happen. However, what should have taken 10 minutes to resolve took almost two hours. I don't know why, but apparently there was an issue with our firewall that they had to resolve. Anyway, the NEW Server is now back online and the OLD Server is being backed up. If we are still stable on the New Server by Wednesday night, we will be replacing it with the OLD Server for a few hours to make an "image" of the NEW Server. Once the image is done, the NEW Server will be put back into service and then the OLD Server will receive the NEW image. We will have to tweak a few things like IP addresses and the like and then we will begin to utilize Load Balancing between the two. Your ScubaBoard Fix should be coming to you quicker than ever before. FWIW, we are still running on the quadrupled bandwidth from last week. Less frustration and more fun is what we want to give to YOU.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom