Toledo Bend....very promising....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubatexastony

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
With a 7-9 inch total rain fall at the lake, we had plans of just cruisin' the lake and getting some GPS data, water was white capping (north wind and we landed on the Texas side)
but the boat rode rather smooth for the 2 1/2 miles to the north shore near the dam. Found a wood pile in 22-25 ft. of water and tied to a log protruding just right for hitchin' up to, with a light breeze (broken by the treeline) Snorkled around a bit and decided to hook up a tank and see more. Bren stayed on the boat and sunned, I saw a big bass on the first go round, lots of yearlin', hydrilla and perch, popped up just in time to help her re-tie the boat (note to self: put more than a couple loops around every time) Went back under and cruisin the tops of the hydrilla in the logs I saw the biggest catfish I've seen diving. There were two of them and the one that headed to my port was at least 5- 5 1/2 long, the other that headed right was a good 3 ft. long. WOW. Viz was 5-8 ft..... I'm going back to the lds and check out that 38 special (JBL) soon. You CAN spear cats in Lousy Anna and game fish some time after june.....
......more to come....

tony

Glad to hear it! Sorry we weenied out on you but driving in wind and thunders storms yesterday wasn't on my list for fun! It didn't quit raining here until close to midnight and the winds were fierce all day. We'll try again!

Guess not. Sounds interesting. Spearfishing?

We still haven't done Wed Wobster yet Tony.

Zoom in on that advisory. It only covers Large Mouth bass and hybirds. It is also an old advisory. Check for updates on the TPWD website.

TwoBit

scubatexastony:
With a 7-9 inch total rain fall at the lake, we had plans of just cruisin' the lake and getting some GPS data, water was white capping (north wind and we landed on the Texas side)
but the boat rode rather smooth for the 2 1/2 miles to the north shore near the dam. Found a wood pile in 22-25 ft. of water and tied to a log protruding just right for hitchin' up to, with a light breeze (broken by the treeline) Snorkled around a bit and decided to hook up a tank and see more. Bren stayed on the boat and sunned, I saw a big bass on the first go round, lots of yearlin', hydrilla and perch, popped up just in time to help her re-tie the boat (note to self: put more than a couple loops around every time) Went back under and cruisin the tops of the hydrilla in the logs I saw the biggest catfish I've seen diving. There were two of them and the one that headed to my port was at least 5- 5 1/2 long, the other that headed right was a good 3 ft. long. WOW. Viz was 5-8 ft..... I'm going back to the lds and check out that 38 special (JBL) soon. You CAN spear cats in Lousy Anna and game fish some time after june.....
......more to come....

tony

Hi, Tony,

Ann and I just got back from Coz last night, gear still packed. I see Dee and some otheres are going to Twin Lakes today. Maybe I'll just take some gear over there and get wet again today, maybe. Hope this post ain't too late. Keep posting on the conditions up there. If you get into some spearfishing, please let me know. Been in it for years and am set up to go anytime.

Regards,

will do! I'll be in Dallas this comming weekend but it's looking better at work as soon as we clear the second floor of the garage. (as far as work goes) Dee and Doug are still planning to come over and head up with us when we have time. I think the new fishing license season begins in June, so I'm kinda holdin' out on the 90 bucks till then...hehe and getting a weapon!

tony

ps. So how was Cozumel? July 4th we'll be there for a week, then probably back again in October.

Tony,

The diving was great. The place is getting overun with cruise ships. ( 5 to 7 a day) Pretty soon they are going to need underwater traffic cops to manage al the divers. At least for the most part it is all a one way underwater thoghrofare. We went with the Lunarfins (our dive club) and dove with Careyitos Divers. Great folks to dive with. Dive you own profile, surface above the group when you are ready and the boat picks you up. Fantastic lunch included!! Do 2nd dive and back at La Caleta at about 3PM. The boat is 40" Bertram shaded all the way to stern dive platform, great upper deck sunning area. I'll certainly dive with them again. We just got back last night and I still have not unpacked. Ann and I had planned on going over to TL today but family took first seat.

$90 fishing license? Oh well, I'd probably pay that to see a 5' catfish. I can say that I've probably spent a lot more on real foolishness!! (When I was younger)

Absolutely, let us know and we'll try to get over there to get wet.

regards,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom