Togian Islands and Manado

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Melee

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi,

My boyfriend and I are planning on going to the Togian Islands and Manado for three weeks. Does anyone have any recommendations on resorts/dive shops/dive sites? Is it relatively safe to travel to these locations? It seems that all the world travel advisory sites hype up the amount of "terrorism and unrest against Westerners", and I have a hard time believing most of that hype.

Thanks much.

Mel :D

A warning for central sulawesi was issued after 2 italian tourists were killed. Things have apparently calmed since then. Still the Poso area is not a good area for foreigners to be in. Go to the islands via Gorontalo.
I used BlackMarlin Dive(brit run), Kadidiri Paradise and Wailea Dive Resort(most upscale) for diving. The diving was ok by sulawesi standards, although in many of the places they had an epidemic spread of crown of thorns due to the over hunting of Napolean Wrasse and triton shells. I believe the program to remove the COT is still in progress. I was part of the program for a week.

Hi Scubashooter,

That's too bad that the Napolean Wrasses and other marine life have been over hunted. Where would you reccommend going in Indonesia, especially if the diving is just "OK" in the Togian Islands? Thanks for your input!

Mel

scubashooter:
A warning for central sulawesi was issued after 2 italian tourists were killed. Things have apparently calmed since then. Still the Poso area is not a good area for foreigners to be in. Go to the islands via Gorontalo.
I used BlackMarlin Dive(brit run), Kadidiri Paradise and Wailea Dive Resort(most upscale) for diving. The diving was ok by sulawesi standards, although in many of the places they had an epidemic spread of crown of thorns due to the over hunting of Napolean Wrasse and triton shells. I believe the program to remove the COT is still in progress. I was part of the program for a week.

If this is your first time in Indonesia, I'm sure you'll find the diving very good. It depends on what you'd like to see. Big pelagics are not the forte around the togians although they have had whaleshark and whales in the past. Macrolife is good. As an overall dive experience, it's "ok" on the indo scale, but the Indo scale is a level above most other destinations, imho. Plus you have the "not too many go there" appeal of the togians.

Thanks, Scubashooter.

We were also looking to find places where there were large pelagics, like Mantas, any sharks, and perhaps Whalesharks. I've gotten a great recommendation to go to Bunaken, but is there anywhere else you could recommend going?

Regards,

Mel

Bunaken is nice for coral and walls but pelagics are not their strong point. You do have the rare occasion of sperm whales and orca but those sightings are very rare, esp in water.
There are very few places left in South East Asia where pelagics (and I mean serious pelagics) can be seen, esp with the combination of mantas and whalesharks. You may want to consider the philippines for whalesharks and mantas. Donsol is very good for snorkelling with whalesharks afew months out of the year. Do a search on the asia forum, should be plenty of info. Sangalaki is great for mantas as is Komodo and Papua Barat.
If I want serious pelagics, whalesharks and mantas and serious shark action... I'd go to South East Africa.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom