Tofuda

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Anyone know the compass heading to get to the Tofuda off Kaanapali Beach on Maui? I'm wanting to head out there and check it out soon.

Mahalo, Tim

Ahhhh, it's always nice to not be embarassed when someone dredges up an old post :eyebrow:

I believe I stuck Tofuda in there because of the Extended Horizons page. Never been there, and until I find another employer with scooters to borrow I will have to stay tuned here for the story of your search :D

If Charlie is going to include the 5' deep wreck the South Shore should get to include the bow :crafty:

P10100062.jpg

P10100183.jpg

Thanks for those pics Halemano I've never heard of those "wrecks" either - I was kinda hoping you might know where the Tofuda is ... I'll let you know when/if I find it.

find out some info when I go back to work on Wednesday about it Tim. I will check with the dive shop at the hotel and see if they have any clue where it might be.

Anyone know the compass heading to get to the Tofuda off Kaanapali Beach on Maui? I'm wanting to head out there and check it out soon.
Digging back through my logbooks I could only come up with 1 dive on it --- April 8, 2003. Extended Horizons, Capt Chris, DM Mikey. IIRC, the captain said that the reason they knew about it was that the 50' sailboat was owned by a buddy of Extended Horizons owner Eric.

My log just lists it as "about 1/2 mile offshore from Hyatt." Unlike today when I often note lineups or ranges, I don't have any better note on the position. Max depth on the dive was 93' and I noted that the bow is sunk about 5' into the sand, so you might find it by traversing the 90' contour line offshore from the Hyatt. I kind of vaugely recall that there was a shallower area to the SW of the sailboat as well as back inshore, so the wreck was in a bit of a valley. Not a huge amount of profile on the wreck -- my notes are that it goes about 5' into the sand and about 8' above the sand.

Good Luck!

My notes show that in residence back in 2003 were:
2 leaf scorpionfish,
black and white frogfish,
anenome crab w/ fluorescent red streamers,
yellow margin eel tucked up into the bow.

====================

Of course, another alternative is to book a ride with Extended Horizons and tell them that you really, really want to go to the Tofuda.

Mahalo Charlie! That actually helps a lot narrowing down the search area. It may take a few trips to find it, but now it sounds possible.

Aloha, Tim

Aloha Tim,

When I got to work I checked with one of the instructors at the dive shop at Hyatt. He said he was not aware of a wreck right off the hotel's beach (the water is only about 60' way out by the jet ski platform) but he remembers Extended Horizons doing a wreck dive up the coast. From what he could remember he thought it was approximately half way between Hyatt's beach and Black Rock. Of course he thru the caveat in there that he was not sure if it is the Tofuda nor was he definite on the exact location, just a general vicinity. He also said that the water is fairly shallow until you get out in the channel further which would coincide with what Charlie said about being 1/2 mile off the beach.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom