todays totally terrible tale of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh:
That was us. If you and your brother are going to be out there on Sunday come over and say hi. ABQDiver and I (and others) will be over by the picnic tables. We are going to bring a grill and some burgers/brats, etc, you should join us for some food if you have time.

Will do! There's always time for food. You have to do something during those surface intervals.
Sean:coffee:

rookers:
It was good to meet you yesterday at Flatirons, Amascuba. Good luck with the rest of the class! I am off for my morning 'ride'.

It was good meeting you as well Rookers. Get that knee healed and we'll have to go diving. :D

What a DRAG Jason!!!!!:shakehead :shakehead

So sorry about both!! They say that it not a matter of a housing flooding but when. Extra, extra care is always needed. I've flooded by beloved C-7070 last year and it was just a case of being in a hurry!! What kind of housing??

See ya all on Sunday!!

Wow Jason,

It sucks that you flooded the camera. What type of camera, and housing were you using? Any idea why it flooded? I know, water! :D Seriously, did you find a hair, or grit or something on the main oring?

An aside, I think I'll get an annual pass this year. I assume I can just do so when the guy comes around to collect the cash. I dive the Hole enough to make it worthwhile, but I assume they don't issue them on the spot. Does anyone know the drill? BH is somewhat hmmm, unorganized, so I'm just curious if it's worth getting the annual pass, will it arrive before next October at this point, or should I just pay as I go.

In any event see you guys on Sunday! We are there friday night (late), diving Sat, and Sunday for as long as we can stay and still get home at a reasonable hour.

If anyone is there Sat, we are up for diving, and/or dinner.

RonFrank:
Wow Jason,

It sucks that you flooded the camera. What type of camera, and housing were you using? Any idea why it flooded? I know, water! :D Seriously, did you find a hair, or grit or something on the main oring?

An aside, I think I'll get an annual pass this year. I assume I can just do so when the guy comes around to collect the cash. I dive the Hole enough to make it worthwhile, but I assume they don't issue them on the spot. Does anyone know the drill? BH is somewhat hmmm, unorganized, so I'm just curious if it's worth getting the annual pass, will it arrive before next October at this point, or should I just pay as I go.

In any event see you guys on Sunday! We are there friday night (late), diving Sat, and Sunday for as long as we can stay and still get home at a reasonable hour.

I ordered mine from the permit guy at the BH in February and I got my permit in this last weekend. :)

RonFrank:
Wow Jason,

The camera was a Olympus C-8080 in an ikelite housing. I know for sure that it was a latch that came undone. I had it clipped to me at the start of the dive, and checked it when we first got in and all was ok. About 20 mins later I unclipped it to take some video and that is when I saw that one of the latches was undone. It has the locking latches, so either by some unfortunate stroke of bad luck I bumped it in such a way that it came undone, or it wasn't latched all the way to begin with, but was still holding at the beginning of the dive when I checked it. I have tested the housing several times since, and it has been fine, so I don't think the latch or housing is defective at all.

Annual pass is a good idea. You can't get it in person, but you can print the app here:
http://www.santarosanm.org/scubadiving.htm
And send it in. It takes A WHILE for the pass to actually come, but they do have annual pass holders on a list, so if someone asks you for you pass you can give them your name and they can see that you paid.

amascuba:
I ordered mine from the permit guy at the BH in February and I got my permit in this last weekend. :)

Haha.. and I ordered mine in December and just got it last week :)

Jasonmh:
Ok, that might be alittle much, but all in all not a great diving day for me.

I decided to take the day (friday) off work, and headed out to Blue Hole with my dad for some diving. I was looking forward to it, since I have never gone on a weekday, and was looking forward to an uncrowded day of diving.
So we get in, me with my wife's (expensive) camera, planning to take some pictures while the viz was pretty good. About halfway through the dive, I unclip the camera to take some pics, and I see what looks like a single drop of water in the housing on the camera. "Crapola, I better surface quick" ran through my mind, until I looked closer and realized that what I thought was a drop of water was actually an air bubble, the only teeny tiny bit of air left in an otherwise completely flooded housing.
I have had the DAN equipment insurance for years, and never had to use it, so I filed a claim on the camera. I am worried they might not cover it, but we'll see I guess.
Then, on the way back to Alb., a semi hurled a chuck of rock at my windshield, and put and 12-14 inch crack in it. :shakehead

Proves the point one should go to work!

Back
Top Bottom