todays totally terrible tale of diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jasonmh

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ok, that might be alittle much, but all in all not a great diving day for me.

I decided to take the day (friday) off work, and headed out to Blue Hole with my dad for some diving. I was looking forward to it, since I have never gone on a weekday, and was looking forward to an uncrowded day of diving.
So we get in, me with my wife's (expensive) camera, planning to take some pictures while the viz was pretty good. About halfway through the dive, I unclip the camera to take some pics, and I see what looks like a single drop of water in the housing on the camera. "Crapola, I better surface quick" ran through my mind, until I looked closer and realized that what I thought was a drop of water was actually an air bubble, the only teeny tiny bit of air left in an otherwise completely flooded housing.
I have had the DAN equipment insurance for years, and never had to use it, so I filed a claim on the camera. I am worried they might not cover it, but we'll see I guess.
Then, on the way back to Alb., a semi hurled a chuck of rock at my windshield, and put and 12-14 inch crack in it. :shakehead

On a completely different note, we did talk to some nice people out at BH today. Some type of group that looked like they were taking some kind of soil sample from the bottom, and some other people that were from CO. If anyone was out there today, we were ones parked at the picnic tables.
And, my annual pass for BH arrived this week.

Alright, enough of my random thoughts. I am gonna try and go next weeked and see what else I can break :D

Bummer day!

I had that "sinking" feeling in Belize last year. We borrowed our friends' u/w camera (a cheap one) for the trip. As we got to the bottom, my wife gives me the "take some pictures" sign. I look and the whole housing is filled with water.

Although it was a cheaper camera, they did leave 1/2 a roll of film from their recent trip to Cozumel. I knew I should have just put a fresh roll in. We had to come back and tell them the bad news - not only did we ruin your camera, we also destroyed your vacation pics. Ouch.

We paid for the camera and I just bought a u/w housing for our Canon digital, so we offered them to use our camera anytime they go diving!

trucker girl:
:) Wasn't me! :)

Haha.. i'm sure it wasn't :)
You ever drive through NM? If so you should post on here and come dive with us sometime...

Jasonmh:
On a completely different note, we did talk to some nice people out at BH today. Some type of group that looked like they were taking some kind of soil sample from the bottom, and some other people that were from CO. If anyone was out there today, we were ones parked at the picnic tables.
And, my annual pass for BH arrived this week.

I was one of the ones down there from CO. I think I saw you dropping in on your first dive. I saw the doomed camera too. :11: Were you and your buddy in doubles?

I think that other group was doing some search training. They said they had various items laying around.

My brother (Daxter) and I will be down there next weekend too, if all goes as planned. Hopefully we'll see you there! :D

I think it was rjack321 who told me that all cameras flood . . . I did in my beloved Dimage last fall, and Peter just drowned his S80 on Valentine's Day, diving with me because that's what I asked for as a Valentine's present.

We feel your pain.

Bummer Jason. I'm sure DAN will take care of your camera. :) The class is going good. I did my 300yard free swim in 6min. 27sec. yesterday and the altitude kicked my butt. I'm learning allot and I hate the camera. :D I have to go, but I'll email you and tell you more when I get home. Oh yea, We'll probably be diving at Rock Lake on Saturday. :D

It was good to meet you yesterday at Flatirons, Amascuba. Good luck with the rest of the class! I am off for my morning 'ride'.

dj6worrall:
I was one of the ones down there from CO. I think I saw you dropping in on your first dive. I saw the doomed camera too. :11: Were you and your buddy in doubles?

I think that other group was doing some search training. They said they had various items laying around.

My brother (Daxter) and I will be down there next weekend too, if all goes as planned. Hopefully we'll see you there! :D

That was us. If you and your brother are going to be out there on Sunday come over and say hi. ABQDiver and I (and others) will be over by the picnic tables. We are going to bring a grill and some burgers/brats, etc, you should join us for some food if you have time.

amascuba:
Bummer Jason. I'm sure DAN will take care of your camera. :) The class is going good. I did my 300yard free swim in 6min. 27sec. yesterday and the altitude kicked my butt. I'm learning allot and I hate the camera. :D I have to go, but I'll email you and tell you more when I get home.

Great, glad to hear it is going good. Nothing like the pressure of a camera watching you :)

amascuba:
Oh yea, We'll probably be diving at Rock Lake on Saturday. :D

You Suck!! :mooner:

Back
Top Bottom