Today was Christmas! PT-E01 has arrived!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Thanks, Jack! The Oly Pen E-PL1 now has an underwater home! The housing is smaller than I thought it would be. The wide lens port on the front and the added space allowing the electronic viewfinder and flash make it look really big but it's not that much bigger than the PT-15/C-5050 rig. Still definitely a 2 hand operation but lots smaller than the big DSLR rigs.

I do have a question.....reading the instruction on installing the gear ring, I noticed they mention an anti-reflective ring. Do I need one of these? I did see photos recently of the white letters around a lens that was reflected onto the photo. Is that the reflection it blocks?

The only thing left is a sync cord for the INON S-2000. I've lost a connecting piece on the old FO cable so I'll probably have to buy a whole new cable..dang it!

ooh la la...

Post some pics soon. Let us know what lens you got (20? 14-42?). I'd miss video, sometimes I swim following turtles, or watch big whale sharks etc. Can't have everything.

You got this from OpticalOcean?

Yeah...I pre-ordered the housing a few weeks ago. I think Jack got the shipment on Monday and he shipped it out on Tuesday. Very fast!

I have the 14-42 kit lens for now for UW. I don't think any other lenses can be used in the housing as there's no added lens ports. I already have an INON 165 close-up lens that will fit on the lens adapter and I'm hoping my 20mm WA lens will also work but I haven't tried it yet. Being able to use the wet lenses and without the headache of lens ports is one big reason I wanted this housing. I also have the adapter so I can use the 4/3 lenses I have for my E-520 topside.

The camera WILL do HD video!

I'm having some trouble customizing the camera. Specifically, getting to the underwater modes. I know I don't need them but want to assign them to the FN button anyway. Once I got the Menu Display turned on, only 3 of the 10 custom menus are available, the rest are grayed out and can't be chosen.

Dee; I saw that about the anti-reflective ring. I'll order some in.

I'm very interested in your results and comments. the two things I saw are that you have to be careful to pop up the flash before you put it in the case. The old trick of turning it to auto if you forgot (on the PT-E05 or 6) doesn't work there seems to be a tab that holds it down.

I also thought that the zoom gear knob is sort of small...one of those things you have to get used to.

Jack

Christmas for me today too. I drove in to Jack's house and picked up the whole thing -- camera, kit lens, housing, macro add-on! I'm thinking of trying it out Saturday!

Keep us posted. Exciting product. The fixed port is good and bad. Keeps cost down, limits lens choices. Since this is a polycarbonate housing, it really costs about what the cheap P+S housings cost to make, but they are pricing it for the premium performance market; I understand that, but I don't like it. Hope 10 bar, Fantasea or some cheapo outfit puts some price pressure on them.

They mention the Oly 9-18 M3/4 lens fits it too, but that's an $800 lens. Gulp. This little gem could be expensive... Is the port 67mm? or? What adapter did you use for the 20mm WA? How is the video quality? I heard 720 HD....

I got mine on Monday from Reef Photo & Video!, The Underwater Photo Pros with my eleven year old grandson in mind. He now has fifty logged dives and has an keen interest in learning photography.

If you come from a DSLR background you will find this housing quite small and from a digi cam POV to be a bit large. I see the Oly Pen the same way as a tweener with a much larger image sensor than the Digi cam and a smaller sensor than the larger DSLR's.

Dee, Regarding the lens shade, it threads to the front of the lens and deflects the burst of light from the internal strobe when it fires. The reflection problem you read about was a result of a reflection onto the port from natural light when the lens was pointed to close to the sun ball. Regarding your fiber optic cord, the housing comes with those two little rubber plugs that go into the fiber optic ports on the housing. If you have lost that end piece from the fiber cord, the cord alone can be pushed into that plug and your good to go. The end of the plug needs to be cut off or poked with a pointed tool to allow the light to flash through.

Regarding lens selection, I tried the Pany 45 mm macro in the port and it will work if you are willing to spend $800.00 for the lens which is quite good. Oly also has a 50 macro coming in 2011 according to the roadmap, (I am still waiting for the 100 macro oly placed on the 4/3 roadmap four years ago) my biggest bitch so far with Olympus.

I think the Pany 14 to 45 zoom will also work in the port but it appears to me that the Pany 7 to 14 may be to fat (like the problem with the Nikon 14 to 24 zoom). I say this because I still have hope that an after market dome port will be made for this housing.

I know Oly may not what this said but the housing is made in three parts, the body the back and the flat port which comes with the housing. The port is a bayonet mount with TWO O-rings and can be removed like any other bayonet port by removing the locking device which is held in place by a small screw. Don't try this at home as it will void your warranty. The housing I saw this done with was pressure tested to 100 feet after the port was replaced and in my mind leaves the door open for an after market dome for use with the 9 to 18 and the coming 8 mm fisheye and 12 mm (as seen on the 2011 roadmap).

For the time being I have added a SeaTool tray to the housing but I am sure several others will work. The housing has three mounting holes on the bottom and they are a bit closer together than on some DSLR's so my Inon tray that I use with the SeaTool Olympus E-3 housing will not work with out modification.

I will pickup the 67 mm cap for the macro lens attachment on Monday and will be interested to see how it works with my 67 mm threaded Athena ring flash as well.

I intend to test the housing with live view and with the VF-2, EVF as well, should be interesting to see the difference in battery life between the two.

I am with Jack on the pop-up flash thing, I have made the mistake of not popping the flash up on every Oly housing I have had that uses fiber optics and have always been bailed out by the AUTO trick or a pop-up control built into the housing.

I think we will be seeing a lot of M-43 housings coming into the market as camera sales have been very strong. This is good for U/W photographers who make up a very small section of the market.

It also appears that the 1.1 firmware upgrade has the AF working at the same speed as the Pany GF-1 given the same lens is being used. The Oly kit 14 to 42 being slower and much less expensive than the Pany 14 to 45 zoom.

Phil Rudin

Last edited:
Speaking of that aftermarket dome...

_DSC0013.jpg

Phil....the part I'm missing on the FO cable is on the other end. It's that cap that connects the cable to the strobe, fits over that clear nipple thingy....technical term! After moving photo stuff 3 times in recent years the gremlins decided to keep it!

I've already made the mental note about popping the flash up before loading the housing. I love the viewfinder outside the housing but not so sure about using it with a mask, though. I did install the upgrade last night but haven't played with it since to notice a difference.

I'm hoping to get in the water with it this weekend and if not, I'll at least test the 165 and WA lenses on the adapter to see how well they work.

Hi Dee,

I'm a fan of nipple thingy's so that works for me. Battery life with live view and a small battery seems an issue, can you see a difference using the VF-2 over the live view in terms of battery life?

Regarding your question on the menu, go to menu and then to the wrench icon on the left side. Within the wrench pulldown you will see an icon that looks like two gears. Turn that on. You will now have added that gear icon to the left hand when you go back to the starting menu. When you open that gear icon you will have a new pull down menu that has settings for lens rotation, color space and many of the other things you may have been looking for. This is your custom settings area.

I am still trying to workout how I will end up setting mine up. I shoot in manual mode and what I select may differ from what a person using presets like the U/W wide angle and macro might set.

I shoot in raw, adobe RGB, use TTL very little (so set the pop-up flash to 1/64th to speedup recycle times and conserve power) auto white balance, i set the lens not to retract when the camera is turned off so that with a focus gear I don't chance damage to the lens (which has happened in the case of the Sigma 105 macro on other 4/3 cameras). I don't know a thing about video so will will need to inquire about those settings. I will start out using ISO 200 for W/A and macro. I have the Inon UCL-165M67 close-up lens to try with the "kit" lens at 42 mm. I also hope to try the Pany 45 mm macro, but will hold off for the Oly 50 macro coming next year I think.

Phil

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom