Today marks my 20th year diving! Time flies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bbarnett51

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
20 Years ago today I finished my NAUI OW dives in the fabulous Grand Cayman. I was 16 years old. I grew up and still live in Arkansas. I spent the first 9 years learning from and diving with my father. He was an avid spearfisherman on Greers Ferry Lake. I learned a lot and treasure the time with him. Even though we couldn't talk it was a bonding moment above all others.

He passed away at the young age of 55 from a rare brain tumor. I took about 5 years off from diving after he passed. Thankfully I got back inn the water and haven't looked back. I still dive with his Scuba Pro reg as my backup. Everytime I gear up it reminds me of him. Its a classic 109 apparently.

Anyway, its been a great 20 years exploring the lakes and oceans. This is a fabulous sport and I hope to get many more involved over my next 20 years.

Sorry about your father's premature passing. I know I take great comfort uin diving as a way to deal with personal traumas... not to mention just liking it for its own sake. Keep enjoying this activity!

Congrats.

Keep Diving

Sorry to hear about your Dad, but it sounds like you guys had good times at Greers Ferry. What a great place!!!! Hope you still get to dive the lake now and for another 20 years...

I have spent lots of time on Greers Ferry as my Grand Parents had a Retirement Home on the lake which they spent their final years at after retiring from the State Hospital in Benton...

Cheers,
Roger

Twenty years. Wonder what the oceans will be like if I'm still diving in 20 years. Hopefully I don't lose the passion, and hopefully there still will be tons of creatures (if our conservation and environmental efforts make an impact).

Congratulations on the milestone.

Back
Top Bottom