Today at Whytecliff

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

creamofwheat

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I just have to share that today, I had an AMAZING dive at Whytecliff.

We started in the cut, and headed into the bay. Max depth was 80ft. Why was it so amazing? Firstly, viz was a beautiful 20ft or so at depth (and not even bad in the shallows, maybe 5-6ft). During this dive, we saw a seal, 3 grunt sculpins (which are my ultimate favourite fish to run into around here), a decorated warbonnet, and a giant swimming nudibranch, not to mention all the greenlings, perch, rockfish, and other such usual creatures. Anyway, it was really great. Haven't had such a great dive in a long time. So much life was out and about today!

I couldn't count (and I haven't logged) the number of dives I have at Whytecliff, but I love that we can all still go back there and if not see something new, see something pretty cool. I was teaching there on Sunday and on my last dive to collect the downline and tour around briefly with a keen student, we saw 2 dogfish in about 25 feet of water in the bay. :D That totally made my day.

I was teaching at Whytecliff on sunday too! We found two hermit crabs, almost as cool as dog fish... that and the pop we stored at the bottom of our line
I remember the first time I found a pair of dogfish, it was a night dive at ansell, i nearly crapped my pants from excitement.
Yesterdays dive was pretty sweet, I haven't dove the cut in a long time (above 130 anyway), it was a nice reintroduction. Whytecliff is a sweet site, I don't care what anybody says.

Some people refer to Whytecliff as Mudcliff. They just haven't looked around enough. I've always had good dives at Whytecliff. But then I like walls and Whytecliff is pretty good for that.

Bill.

Well as long as you get below 30 feet in the summer you're okay at the 'cliff as you know Bill. I think people have a weird tendency to judge Whytecliff by the conditions in the bay. Which even in winter can drop to low viz if there are enough classes out there.

Speaking of, if you were teaching out there on Sunday S.S. then I must apologize for the navigation measuring tape strung across the bottom and the runaway float. It seems my divemasters weren't quite as familiar with procedures during large tidal shifts as I had imagined. *embarrassed* Oh well... I have learned to brief all assistants in exactly what I want instead of hoping the message will get relayed. We all know how the game of telephone works... *feeling sheepish*

Daaaymnnn nstructors and DM's screwing it up for everyone :wink:

aha.. The Cut.... been a long time since i dove there...

I really want to get back and photograph those massive nudis over on the left side of the bay at Whytecliff...

but.. brrrrrrr

nessum:
Speaking of, if you were teaching out there on Sunday S.S. then I must apologize for the navigation measuring tape strung across the bottom and the runaway float. It seems my divemasters weren't quite as familiar with procedures during large tidal shifts as I had imagined. *embarrassed* Oh well... I have learned to brief all assistants in exactly what I want instead of hoping the message will get relayed. We all know how the game of telephone works... *feeling sheepish*

I was wondering about that...

Back
Top Bottom