tobermory

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Susan sold Divers Den about a year ago. Haven't been in since the new people took over.
Always seem to use Steve or Perry.

I typically will use G&S.. but have used all 3 for charters. I find that G&S is efficiently run, always fast fills, even on long weekends. Niagara II is in my opinion, one of the best dives that tobermory has to offer. Much of the wreck is seen at 70', not hitting 100' in the mud. She is penetrable, but doors have been welded open and holes cut throughout the hull with diver safety in mind. The wreck is certainly worth multiple dives, as you cannot see the entire wreck in 1 dive. I got 7 dives on her in 2009 and hope to get more in 2010!. Other than that... the best shore dives would be a tossup between the tugs (if you make the swim over to the Alice G.), The lighthouse - Huge boulders, rock formations... and the Anchor, a huge wooden stocked anchor - (a steady 12 min swim each way). Send me a PM if you want more info... I am up there about 10 times a year.

Little cove is also a great shore dive site. Just a few minutes south of town. Perfect for beginners and I've done some awesome night dives there. Georgian Bay can really come to life at night.

I've seen this happen a couple of times, and I think Stoo on SB does this all the time.

Did I hear my name? I often raft off charter boats, but the Captains are all buddies of mine so it's as much for social reasons as anything. Generally, I prefer to have the wreck to myself, so I will wait until the other boats are gone before I dive.

Remember that in Tobermory, the law requires that your tie to a mooring at a wreck site, (or a charter boat) and that someone needs to be in the boat at all times. If you raft off a charter, and that charter boat leaves when you're down, your boat will be left at the moorning and on it's own. (Some sites are not in the Park... the Niagara, the Caves, Lady Dufferin, City of Cleveland etc.) but common sense would suggest that leaving a boat without a tender isn't terribly clever, although I have seen it done. You are also required to fly a dive flag (either will do) and register the boat at the park office (along with yourself) before diving there. I can't recall if there is a fee to register the boat, but I don't think so.

Many, many years ago, a friend of mine who owned the Bruce Isles at the time, returned from a trip to the Arabia to discover a little Zodiac tied off when he tried to dock. Apparently someone came out and asked the passengers on the Bruce Isles if they could tie off, but no one bothered to mention it to the Captain.

Needless to say, they scooted back out to the Arabia to find a couple of worried divers floating about at the mooring, wondering how long they were going to wait until they began the three mile swim back to Toby! :wink:

If anyone has any specific questions about Tobermory and the diving there, feel free to PM me. I have been diving there for 30+ years and live there for much of the summer. I'm not on here as often as I should be...

The shop I work for charters with G&S, we usually take all their boats out on a weekend when we head up there and they do a great job, the mamie is a little tougher to dive out of, i prefer the joseph simon, especially since it has a hydraulic lift to bring you out of the water. As for dives up there, i recommend the Niagara 2, great wreck, we have some customers that only want to dive that when we go up there, the caroline rose isnt bad, some of the shallow wrecks are nice and the caves are a nice dive. As for the Arabia and the Forest City those are definitely wrecks to respect, someone once told me there has been more deaths on the Arabia than the Andria Doria.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom