tobacco chew

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wedivebc

CCR Instructor Trainer
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Tonight a student of mine told me he chews tobacco while diving. Other than being less than impressed that he uses a rental reg, I can't come up with a good reason why he shouldn't. Must be a choking hazard or something.
Any opinions on this?

cheers,

This is the first time I have heard of anyone succesfully chewing while diving! Heard many people talk about trying but none doing it.
Other than it being gross and a choking hazard I can't think of anything. What does it do to the inside of a reg? Bad part of it is, what ever you tell him he will probably continue to chew.

I think he's handing you a load of Bravo Sierra.
How is he going to chew with a regulator in his mouth?

The Kracken:
I think he's handing you a load of Bravo Sierra.
How is he going to chew with a regulator in his mouth?

1. You don't actually chew, it is just a pinch between the cheek and gum.

2. Compressed air is usually dry enough to keep you from being a drooling idiot.

The real concern I'd have is actively using a diuretic while diving. Hydration is a real challenge when you're a copenhagen man. I'm not saying it isn't a gross thought of what is being huffed through the reg, I'm saying don't think about that. It's getting rinsed thoroughly right?

I have heard of people doing this. They usually aren't chewing and they don't seem to put as much "chew" in possibly to reduce the amount of saliva generated. IRCC its used more like "dip".

How'd you like to buddy breath with him?

That is fair dinkum disgusting. !!!

Last i remember i was meant to clamp my reg between my teeth to avoid drowning. (makes it hard to chew if teeth are clamped shut) Wonder if he stops for a spit every now or then? maybe a quick swig of brandy to keep him warm or maybe he even pulls a big mac and fries from his BCD when the urge hits him...

Chewing underwater is not that difficult. I used to do it all the time. (I chewed from the time I was 13 up until about 4 years ago, I quit at age 40) You don't contaminate the reg because you remove it to spit. Sounds disgusting I know, but we are not all perfect.

Oh, I have been diving since 1977

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom