To what pressure are you filling your PST 104s to?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been told numerous times they are rated @4000 in Europe.
But the states only rated @2640.

I generally fill mine to 3000 or 3200, and have seen them at 4000.

Usually get 3600 in mine. I know some people that have 104's that are nearly 20yrs old and get overfilled every day. I've NEVER heard of one failing hydro. I'm not saying it hasn't happend just that it's not a common occurance.

Those 104's will be around longer than you overfills or not. Just make sure you shim the burst disk (or double them up). Also make sure you keep any mositure out of them. Rust is much more dangerous to steel tanks than filling them above the "DOT" rating.

DSAO!

i dont know about the PST but i am guilty of over filling my Fabers. I usually fill them to 3500psi. I did this for a year and i just got them hydros last month, no problems.

Andy

Originally posted by caverkevin
You'll be scared poopless before you overfill pst104's.
KLJ

Man that's for sure....you used to run the old mouth and force my precious beauties (95s) to 3800 and whine when I only wanted 3200 in them! They don't let you fill tanks in Michigan like they did at Ginnie do they?

Hollar at me when you get back down to cave country. :)

We overfill for our trimix dives all the time!! 3000 to 3500 hundred is not uncommon:wink:

We have pst 72's from the mid 60's at the shop and they are rated to 2250psi and are consitently filled to 2500 or so!!

Pst steel makes the best tanks that i have ever seen:)

i also have Heiser 104's and you thought pressed steels were heavy these bad boys have an inch and a half of steel wall.I Crank em up all the time!!:eek:

Double disk the tanks or plug em and get on with the diving.

Len

The PST 104's are the best tanks going. I have two that are ten years old, and a normal fill is 3200 psi. and have had no problems with hydro. I bought two more about a year ago. No reason to dive with anything but steel. :tree: Bob
:tribute:

Well.........................PSTs are pretty good.

But I would be hesitant to suggest there is no reason to dive with anything but steel. How about ow with wesuit? What about stages? Both of those applications the correct tool for the job is alum tanks.

PST are perfect doubles for fl caves with drysuit but they are not practical in other areas (such as the Yucatan) where you can dive forever on double 80s with a wetsuit and also avoid the potential for overtaxing the entry and exit ladders (that already look shakey).

They are pretty bulletproof as far as hydros and overfills are concerned.

Originally posted by Bob
The PST 104's are the best tanks going. I have two that are ten years old, and a normal fill is 3200 psi. and have had no problems with hydro. I bought two more about a year ago. No reason to dive with anything but steel. :tree: Bob

Well...
Contrary to the misconcertion that one can't dive open water with a wetsuit and steel, you can. I should say that I taylor my gear to where I dive and my diving is in Florida and the Carribean. I regulary dive with a 3mil wetsuit and my steel tanks. Most of the guys I dive with do the same. I have four AL 80's and occasionally I use 'em, but I just hate that extra four pounds per tank I have to carry just to use AL, don't you? Steel tanks have superior bouyancy charateristics, they will carry more air, and if properly cared for, last much longer than AL. There is a interesting thread here on the board about how durable AL. tanks are. It makes for some good reading. Dive safely. :tree: Bob.

Bob-

While it is physically possible to dive steels with a 3mm wetsuit in ow (and it at first glance has many compelling reasons) the real issue I have with it (and I dm'ed on west coast of FL for years) is that you have no redundant buoyancy device (ie drysuit) and essentially no ditichable weight. If if you can swim them up it loads you pretty heavily. Do me a favor and dive your current rig and at 100 ft on your next wreck dive (when your wetsuit is paper thin) let all the air out of your bc...I mean every last bit and try just to swim up to 70 ft. Check you press gauge before and after. What would be the same situation using an alum set of tanks?

As divers we tend to think about getting down and staying down hence the value propositon of lp steel tanks for weight and volume, but not enough about getting back up.

Originally posted by Bob
Well...
Contrary to the misconcertion that one can't dive open water with a wetsuit and steel, you can. I should say that I taylor my gear to where I dive and my diving is in Florida and the Carribean. I regulary dive with a 3mil wetsuit and my steel tanks. . :tree: Bob.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom