To use scooter - need valve on right arm?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nunomix

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Good afternoon to all.

I have a question with regard to the positioning of the dump valve in a dry suit.

I have read that to use a scooter the valve should be in the right arm instead of the left arm. Why is that? Does that mean that if the dry suit has the valve in the left side we cannot use a scooter?

I am not thinking of getting a scooter for now but I dont want to buy a suit that I will eventually have to change in the future.

Thanks.

Regards

nunomix:
Good afternoon to all.

I have a question with regard to the positioning of the dump valve in a dry suit.

I have read that to use a scooter the valve should be in the right arm instead of the left arm. Why is that? Does that mean that if the dry suit has the valve in the left side we cannot use a scooter?

I am not thinking of getting a scooter for now but I dont want to buy a suit that I will eventually have to change in the future.

Thanks.

Regards
The idea was that if you used the manual method of exhausting your drysuit (ie Push the valve) you wouldn't be able to do it to the valve on the left without changing hands that hold the scooter.

Everyone that has a scooter that I know just have the valve on the left and we have all survived. (so far :wink: )

nunomix:
Good afternoon to all.

Thanks.

Regards

You do not need your dump on your right arm to scooter.

Why? Did your book explain why. If you control your scooter and have your buoyancy set correct and the scooter balanced why would you need to have the valve on the right? I see plenty of divers who have it on the left and have no problem. I have no need to move mine.

Okay. That is good to hear then. I will get the suit with the valve in the normal place.

Thanks a lot.

Doc Intrepid:
Make sure, with a scooter or not, that you dive with your valve open all the way...

For sure. With all those stories about problems dumping air, for sure that will be my biggest concern :11:

Back
Top Bottom