To use or not to use defog in camera housings.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jcclink:
Do you change them every day?

Fresh set of regenerated packs every time I close the housing.

I change the dessicant when the color starts changing. On a dive trip that's usually every other day.

miketsp:
The recommended temperature for regeneration is heating it above 300 degrees F (150 C).
While that might be true for loose silica gel (I'd imagine 100C to be sufficient) if you stick the packets that Dee recommends (I use the same) at that temperature into an oven the packets will melt. Instead use a low setting (I use 60-80C) for a longer time (you will see it change colour).

According to Preserve Smart "When the beads turn pink - regenerate in either a microwave set on LOW or a standard oven set at 275º F." Full directions come with your order. I usually set my oven to 200º and leave it for several hours. This way I don't have to keep such a sharp eye on a timer.

Dee:
According to Preserve Smart "When the beads turn pink - regenerate in either a microwave set on LOW or a standard oven set at 275º F." Full directions come with your order. I usually set my oven to 200º and leave it for several hours. This way I don't have to keep such a sharp eye on a timer.
Yup, that's what I do too (200F is about 93C) - I try and keep it at 80C and leave it in the oven.

armyscuba:
Interesting...What is meant by Regeneration? does it reclaim the silica at heat above 300 degrees?

Basically means by heating them the silica "sweats" the moisture out so you can use them again.

Dee...

If I am reading your first post correctly, do you just use the Silica Gel Desiccant Paks and nothing else?

DBailey:
Dee...

If I am reading your first post correctly, do you just use the Silica Gel Desiccant Paks and nothing else?

Yes, that's right. The glass in your lens port needs to be clean and free of streaks, dust, etc. The inside of your housing also has to be kept clean and dry. I see no reason to smear anything on the inside of the lens port and have to wash out the excess. Both the things are counter productive to my previous statement! The only thing it accomplishes, IF it works, is to treat the symptom, it doesn't cure the problem. And id it doesn't work, the very last thing I want is condensed moisture dribbling into water droplets on the inside of my camera!

The dessicant packs only have always worked for me.

I use a silica pack and use ladies minipads around the camera. Stops condensation even in 50 degree water. Seems to have worked great so far. Also, if there is a tiny leak, it will absorb the water till I can get to the surface and get the cam out of the housing. I did not think of this but of course stole the idea from someone on this board :wink:
Dee:
It just means the absorbed moisture has been removed and the silica packs can be reused like new.

The packs that I buy are only about 30¢ each so if you don't want to rejuvenate them endlessly, they are cheap enough to throw away after just a few uses. I like the color indicators so I know when to change them.

Gee...I wonder where you heard that? :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom