To TTL or not and what is the strobe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

victor

Contributor
Reaction score
I have an Oly 8080 with a PT-023.
I was going to get a TTL converter from www.heinrichsweikamp.net but I have been hearing some bad things about it. Not that could just be the persons opinion so any info on these would be appreciated.
They also knocked TTL as a requirement for digital photography.
I have read that the 8080 needs a focus light to help the auto focus work quickly.
I have a reasonable budget so a mid range strobe can be afforded
What strobes would you recommend.

The following is supported by the TTL converter
Hartenberger 125 HS TTL Digital
Hartenberger 250 HS TTL Digital
Hartenberger 625 HS TTL Digital
Ikelite DS 125
Ikelite DS 125 Ser.-Nr >5000
Ikelite DS 200
Ikelite DS 50
Ikelite DS 50 Ser.-Nr. >7000
Inon D 2000W
Inon Z 22 Ringflash
Inon Z 220
Inon Z 220 F
Inon Z 220 S
Inon Z 240 Shutter linked AF-light (as with the Z-220) not available
Sea & Sea YS-120
Sea & Sea YS-30 II TTL Duo
Sea & Sea YS-300
Sea & Sea YS-350
Sea & Sea YS-50 TTL/N
Sea & Sea YS-50 TTL/S modified
Sea & Sea YS-50 TTL/S Ser.-Nr. 94....
Sea & Sea YS-60 TTL mod. Mike-Dive Speed-version of YS60 from www.mike-dive.de
Sea & Sea YS-60 TTL/N
Sea & Sea YS-60 TTL/S
Sea & Sea YS-90 (A or DX)
Sea & Sea YS-90 TTL Duo
Subtronic Maxi TTL
Subtronic Midi TTL
Subtronic Mini TTL '05 works with Nikon D100
Subtronic Nova

I think that just one or two people have had trouble with their TTL converter from Mathias. Many people are using them with no problems....alot with an 8080!

I highly recommend Inon strobes. They pack a good punch but are small in size making traveling alot easier.

TTL is not needed with digital but can come in handy. That being said, I am getting a TTL converter for my Subal ND20.

HTH,
Dave

I can't agree with Mathias' list of compatible strobes. I have tried several on the list with variable results, very frustrating. I did find the Sea&Sea YS-90 DX to be OK. You will have to lash together a focus light, but it can be simply a mini flashlight.

I'm using a Oly C7070 with a S&S YS90 with the converter. Works fine!!

Forget the TTL save your money. Get a machine shop to install an Ikelite bulkhead connector (from Ikelite) wire in a Paramount hotshoe cord from B and H Photo ($15). Now your options are wide open to the Ikelite workhorse strobes you can buy on ebay for $100 or less and connect the strobe to the housing with a standard Ikelite sync cord.

The Ikelite Ai 100w strobe is much more powerful than any of the $700 Inon strobe and the Ai has a wider beam! Oh and the Ai has TTL but TTL does not work to well with digitial, just film (look up my long thread on this one). And why would you need TTL when you have the feedback from the LCD screen?

This system fires each and every time all you have to do is be a real photographer and adjust the aperature.

Or join the 21st century and use TTL. It works fine for most of your shooting. It can be fooled, just as it can on land, but these are a minority of the time. I highly recommend Ike's current line of strobes. They work and work well, and they have Ike's world famous support system behind them.

bandit_TX:
Or join the 21st century and use TTL. It works fine for most of your shooting. It can be fooled, just as it can on land, but these are a minority of the time. I highly recommend Ike's current line of strobes. They work and work well, and they have Ike's world famous support system behind them.

I recommend Ike's as well the Substrobes/A35 from ebay or new from B and H photo. 95% of U/W flash photos are manual the other 5% bought all that "TTL" stuff, found out it does not work but are still in denial.

"minority of the time" all it takes is for it to not to work at that once in a lifetime moment! :rofl3:

I recommend Ike's as well the Substrobes/A35 from ebay or new from B and H photo.
There isn't an A35 listed on the B&H site. If you buy it off eBay, you better check and see if Ike can still service it. And 95% of my photos are TTL. Unless you want to shoot only wide angle, you'll really appreciate TTL, just like you do on land.

bandit_TX:
There isn't an A35 listed on the B&H site. If you buy it off eBay, you better check and see if Ike can still service it. And 95% of my photos are TTL. Unless you want to shoot only wide angle, you'll really appreciate TTL, just like you do on land.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...737&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation

No need to argue about which method to use, well use the method that works for our needs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom