To touch or not to touch other diver's gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can I buy one of those stickers from you?
Not my stickers, but you can reach out to "The Great Dive Podcast" and probably buy some.

Anyone know James Mott @ call on here?

Not my stickers, but you can reach out to "The Great Dive Podcast" and probably buy some.

Anyone know James Mott @ call on here?
He denies being here.

I dive unorthodox homemade CCR. Don't even look at my gear. I have a very precise procedure for donning and checking my gear. DO NOT EVEN THINK OF TOUCHING AND DON'T INTERRUPT.

I routinely see boat DM's think it is their responsibility to "check" valves prior to splash from behind the diver without them ever even knowing it. I personally don't want that because I agree that it is 100% my responsibility.

That is exactly their responsibility.
And if they didn't find 5 of them every day, they would likely stop doing it.
I ask before I do it every time. Never had anybody object. They guys that reach back and check their own during their predive, I don't touch them as I watched them open the valves.
Well that's completely different. If they asked I would not object and probably even say "thanks".

In my eyes, the don't touch my gear thing is more ego than anything, I have seen many times when divers may dislike when you grab the shoulder strap to aid them in donning their gear, they see it as an insinuation they are uncapable of donning their gear themselves, it's mind boggling to me.
Yeah, there's messin with my gear" and helping me out. My first set of tanks that were mine, was a set of twin steel 72's. In the early seventies, everything was separate. The BC, the weight belt and the tank harness were all separate harnesses. The most practical way to put the tanks on, was to slip the straps over your wrists, grab it by the side handles, hoist it up and over your head and drop it down onto your shoulders.

I could do that easily back then but not anymore! After more than a half century of bones broken on rough roads, I have to sit down and slide into my single 72. Want to help me with that twisted strap? Much appreciated. Now can you please help me stand up? Thanks

During a dive on the Valentina liveaboard, my octopus holder snapped, so I rigged it up with a zip tie. After three dives, the darn thing broke again, forcing me to remove the plastic holder and attach the octopus directly to my BCD with just a flimsy zip tie and a plastic hook. As I geared up for the first dive of the morning, someone had the audacity to cut the zip tie I had secured. It was an absolutely infuriating experience - a first in my 13 years of diving. Having someone sabotage my gear for no apparent reason was beyond comprehension. I WON'T INTERFERE WITH OTHER'S GEAR UNLESS THEY ASK FOR ASSISTANCE. That's a respectful approach. It's important to always ask for permission before handling someone else's equipment, especially in activities like diving where safety is paramount.

HANDS OFF!

That even goes for boat crews.

I'll always recall being on a cattle boat, years ago, when a dimbo crew member was reflexively turning tank valves -- some fourteen or more in all -- to ensure that they were all pressurized; but must have confused "righty-tighty, lefty-loosey" and wound up turning mine off -- only for me to realize it at close to 20 meters . . .

I try to keep in mind that while it is unlikely, it is not impossible that a boat crew member or fellow diver might spot something amiss that I overlooked. The right thing to do is ask before touching, but if someone touches something without asking I just re-check it and try not to get too bent out of shape. I used to be less mellow about it. (I thought I was supposed to get crankier as I got older?)

and wound up turning mine off
What happened, was the crew member sacked on the spot, what gas were you breathing on the way to 20M ?

Never seen one turned off here, seen plenty with the valve just on or fully off about to splash, happens too often, turned on by a crew member checking before they stride in, saves a lot embarrassments , drama and 'what do I say at the inquest'.

Old habits die hard, a couple of quick breaths while looking at the SPG to see if the needle moves [yeah, I still use a SPG] before you splash, stride or back roll.

What happened, was the crew member sacked on the spot, what gas were you breathing on the way to 20M ?

Never seen one turned off here, seen plenty with the valve just on or fully off about to splash, happens too often, turned on by a crew member checking before they stride in, saves a lot embarrassments , drama and 'what do I say at the inquest'.

Old habits die hard, a couple of quick breaths while looking at the SPG to see if the needle moves [yeah, I still use a SPG] before you splash, stride or back roll.
Yep, I usually find them completely turned off, I haven't seen a 1/4 turn on in awhile. It is usually a non standard valve on a single tank that winds up being off. People buy split up doubles to use as single tanks and get confused by the reversed valves.

Back
Top Bottom