To support your LDS or purchase On Line here is my experience.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GeorgeC

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Lanoka Harbor, New Jersey and Ft. Lauderdale, FL
# of dives
500 - 999
I decided to purchase a BC and an air integrated computer four days prior to my trip to Cozumel. Yep my bad for waiting but extremely busy.

I visited several New Jersey stores, which required me to drive quite far with prior phone calls to confirm they had what I needed. The one LDS (Shop 1) had a Dive Rite Black TransPack with a Venture Wing (30 lbs of lift) that I happened to like but wanted to shop around.

I went to another shop (Shop 2) that tried to convince me to buy his Blackdiamond with 54 lbs of lift for my warm water trip to Cozumel, a non air intergraded computer and had nothing but bad things to say about the DR setup. Oh, bye the way, he did not carry DiveRite nor did he have an AI computer.

Shop 3 stated he had DR gear but upon further investigation they only carried Scuba Pro.

I called four other shops that did not have the setup or willing to discuss how they could accommodate my needs.

I decided to go with Shop 1 and settle on the black DR setup rather than the blue that I wanted. I called Shop 1 to find out they will not be in the store for the next two days.

With two days remaining I reluctantly shop on line and decide to call Larry from Scuba Toys. Larry spends several minutes on the phone with me discussing my options and I get the immediate feeling he is “not trying to sell me something” but rather assist me in purchasing something. I get the TransPack in Blue with the Venture wing and an Aeris Elite computer.

I saved approx $65 on the BC and purchased the Elite for less than what I would have paid for an Aeris AI.

During the trip I discovered a small leak in one of the plastic BC fittings. ScubaToys is sending me out a new part with no questions asked. I wish Scuba Toys had a location in New Jersey because of the service they provide. How can you beat service and great pricing!

A possibly minor point, but ScubaToys IS an LDS which happens to also have an on-line presence. No different from finding a great LDS while on vacation and continuing to do business with them through mail order or phone orders.

Just because an LDS is the closest drive to you doesn't mean you owe them your business. A good customer relationship must be earned.

theskull

I moved to FL from NE 5 years ago and still deal with my LDS from up north.(15 yrs. of business with him)
He has always beat any prices, even with shipping.
I saved $140.95 on my computer over anyone in FL.

I try to consider what it is I am buying and how important is it for me to have assitance later on after the purchase.

My first dive gear was purchased right after getting certified and to be blunt...I spent a bundle...more than I could have gotten by with. But,...it was good gear and you live and learn.

Then, another time, I wanted a Cressi Horizon mask and paid like $120 from a dive shop....only to find the exact same mask on sale at Diveinn for only $35. That really soured me.

Yet....if I was buying life support gear, I would have a tendency to go local LDS. I broke that rule when I bought my last bcd.....and I feel I got lucky. I bought a bcd from www.northeastscubasupply.com and it is a fully certified DiveRite location. And, I have had excellent service from them. But to buy a reg or a computer...I would probably go local....or at least as local as I can get. While i have no doubt the guys at northeast would treat me right....there is the time factor of shipping the bad item back...waiting...where an lds might give me a "loaner" so I could still dive.

Im sorry dive shops....but there seems to be the perception that everyone that dives had money coming out the wazoo. Not true. And the dive industry isnt doing anything to help either. One of our lds's decided to call it quits and close down. SO another lds bites the dust. Unfortunately it was bought by some individuals that have no clue about customer service so I will never walk into that shop again.

I dont have the luxury of buying top of the line. So if there is something I can get on line significantly cheaper...and my life doesnt depend on it...then odds are I will get it on line.

And to be blunt....i dont want to hear try to get your air on line. If it came to that I would save up for a compressor of my own. But I just dont believe it will get that far. Anyway...how many old guys remember going to the fire department for an air fill?? Certainly not the best...but air wont disappear because of the internet.

I think the SMART dive shop has an lds presence....and an internet presence. That would ensure survival much better in such a volitile industry.

Just my two cents....
rich

Look like I should buy stock in Scuba Toys..........

LDS, I thought, stood for Local Dive Shop. It sounds to me like you don't have an LDS as you had to drive quite far even to get to the first shop. The salesman at those NJ shops you went into didn't know you and you didn't know them. Looks to me like you don't have an LDS so the question of wetter to support it is moot.

A local shop is where many of the customers and staff know each other and maybe even dive together. When I go there and have a better than even chance of seeing someone I know in the parking lot. A lot of us are there a couple times a week getting tanks filled, equipment serviced or whatever. With a "real" LDS as I just describbed the question of supporting it has meaning - if you don't go there the place might not be there.

My answer is that I'll shop local unless it costs me a huge premium. Or if the
LDS does not have what I want and has to order it, I may as well order it myself.

GeorgeC:
I decided to purchase a BC and an air integrated computer four days prior to my trip to Cozumel. Yep my bad for waiting but extremely busy.

I visited several New Jersey stores, which required me to drive quite far with prior phone calls to confirm they had what I needed. The one LDS (Shop 1) had a Dive Rite Black TransPack with a Venture Wing (30 lbs of lift) that I happened to like but wanted to shop around.

I went to another shop (Shop 2) that tried to convince me to buy his Blackdiamond with 54 lbs of lift for my warm water trip to Cozumel, a non air intergraded computer and had nothing but bad things to say about the DR setup. Oh, bye the way, he did not carry DiveRite nor did he have an AI computer.

Shop 3 stated he had DR gear but upon further investigation they only carried Scuba Pro.

I called four other shops that did not have the setup or willing to discuss how they could accommodate my needs.

I decided to go with Shop 1 and settle on the black DR setup rather than the blue that I wanted. I called Shop 1 to find out they will not be in the store for the next two days.

With two days remaining I reluctantly shop on line and decide to call Larry from Scuba Toys. Larry spends several minutes on the phone with me discussing my options and I get the immediate feeling he is “not trying to sell me something” but rather assist me in purchasing something. I get the TransPack in Blue with the Venture wing and an Aeris Elite computer.

I saved approx $65 on the BC and purchased the Elite for less than what I would have paid for an Aeris AI.

During the trip I discovered a small leak in one of the plastic BC fittings. ScubaToys is sending me out a new part with no questions asked. I wish Scuba Toys had a location in New Jersey because of the service they provide. How can you beat service and great pricing!

Its a toss up. On one side of the coin you have items that I would only buy from a LDS. Things that need to be serviced. On the other hand I have no problems buying online when the price is right and the item does not have to be serviced. I can buy an SPG at my LDS for $100 or pay $60 at leisure pro. Let me THINK. (No brainer) With that in mind just be a smart consumer and do your best to keep a good relationship with an LDS. Who is going to fill your tanks? Not the magical tank filling fairy thats for sure. Talk to your LDS though and give them the benefit of the doubt, who knows, maybe they would be willing to match or beat the price. There is my two cents worth. Take care.

There are obvious advantages to both. Cheap prices vs local service and having a clean conscience.

It's up to you to choose what is more important.

Read my sig :)

I like Larry, I've bought a drysuit from him and he's always been great. But do be careful with the DR warranty, they exclude mail purchases. So at worst you'd have Larry have to deal with any potential problems. Also when buying a BC, particularly a plate and wing, fit is important, as is proper adjustment and rigging, sometimes hard to do over the phone.

Sounds like the stores weren't working for you very hard and Larry did. My local store works pretty well for me and makes sure the fit, adjustment and my way of rigging it are right, which I think is very valuable.

Jack

I have dealt with both North East Scuba Supply and Scuba Toys, both being LDS's with an internet presence. Both were great and did more for me over the phone than most local dive shops have done for me in person.

Shops dealing in internet sales don't seem to be bothered by a custumer that wants to save money. Local shops (not all) frequently aren't interested in you unless you are there to spend tons of money.

BTW, if they don't know you yet then they should try to treat you like they do know you. That concept may lead to people spending a little more money. That said, one out of ten shops I have visited in person around the US have been awesome. I spend my money at those shops that made me feel comfortable the FIRST time I walked in, or I didn't return to them a second time. JMHO based on my experiences trying to find a good deal and a good LDS.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom