To Private Class or Not to Private Class? Is that a question?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh might I add that Wethersfield students are in shallow end or deep we teach as if there is no bottom and if in shallow end or deep we insist on students floating properly on the surface ie inflating bcds and not remove regs out of mouth unless they ask a question explaining that waves and chop could drown them even on the surface

The problem with your train of thought is that wit scuba it is good to dive with other students cuz as stated previously you can become dependent on the instructor where as with diving with other students you learn to be more independent
I will admit private classes do have their benefits but so do group classes
Sorry, I missed replying to your post back then. I never was dependent on my instructor other than when I took the OW course. I think you become more independent diving solo. But yeah, I agree that both private and group courses have their plusses (though I never took a private scuba course- don't have the money).

As a recent student, I felt that the private course I did with the instructor (assisted by a DM candidate on some of the OW dives) was a great way to learn. I had complete access to the instructor to ask whatever questions I needed to, any issues with trim and bouyancy were sorted asap and I felt that I did learn to buddy better than I might have otherwise as it was the instructors eyes on my the whole time so I felt any mistakes would be noted and commented on (and they were!)

@Neilwood
Ok first part, got it, good that you felt like you had a good experience in the class and you were comforted by the instructor and their advice on your shortcomings. I applaud your instructor for doing a thorough job, as it sounds.
However, by your own accord you have proven my point for me. You say: "I felt that I did learn to buddy better than I might have otherwise as it was the instructors eyes on me the whole time so I felt any mistakes would be noted and commented on."
Lets look at what you said, "I felt better bc the instructor was watching me" that is not going to be the case after the class, so who is going to look after you then? Did you check on the instructor to make sure he was doing everything correctly?(I know this may sound strange but again you should check on your buddy regardless of the experience gap.)
You say you were comforted by the instructor watching you, ok well I am going to go out on a limb and say your instructor will more than likely have more training and experience than your next diving buddy. So are you not going to feel as safe if the instructor is not there? Will you be able to keep yourself composed with your limited experience to assist your buddy (not the instructor in this case) if they were to have a problem or are you going to still be preoccupied with your own issues? Even more simply, will you be able to do the proper checks on your gear and your buddies gear before getting in the water, or will you feel like you will forget something that may be pertinent bc your instructor is not there?

Honestly, I really am not trying to start an argument by any means. I am not one of those self entitled, arrogant instructors that says anyone who disagrees with me can pound sand. I just hope you realize what I am saying in the examples above, if not no worries. I am happy that you are a new diver, the industry needs more and more divers to be trained properly like I feel you did from what you described. Keep diving the only way to get better!! I have been diving for 14 years, 27 years old now, and I still practice my buoyancy and other skills to keep them sharper than a razor, wish I could say the same about my IQ haha.

As it happens, my first OW dives post cert were with someone who, despite having a lot more dives and certs than me, did not display the best of skills but we managed (I certainly was more aware of Jim Lapenta's stickied post about who is really responsible during a dive ).

I have to say it is probably more to do with my personality type and previous history. I am normally a very self critical person (I tend to analyse my own performance when doing most things to try to improve) and used to be a trainer in First Aid (for about 10 years) so got very used to learning skills quickly but thoroughly ( and being very concious of learning the skill properly as I might have to demonstrate it very shortly afterwards). If I screw something up, I am the first person to beat myself up mentally.

I certainly don't take your post as argumentative (if anything quite supportive) and I fully intend to keep diving.

I know that some people learn better in different ways (certainly was true in my experience of training). Some are very practical, some are more knowledge orientated or somewhere in between. What I think matters most is the attitudes of both the instructor and students irrespective of the group size. Being able to figure out quickly what kind of a student/group you have and how to adjust your methods accordingly is one of the signs of a great instructor.

@Neilwood
That was indeed one of the most eloquently written responses I have seen on SB. Thank you for seeing the entirety of my point and expanding on it. YES, it does really come down to a personality type and therefore how serious each individual diver is going to take diving. You are not the "norm" for the majority of divers at the Open Water level(sorry if you have higher certs now), most OW divers and/or students are just taking the class as a bucket list thing. Those are the ones that I hate teaching because they do not have the same dedication that you seem to have with diving. Therefore, my point of this entire thread was to speak to the potential OW divers that they may have more "experience" if they were to have a person or two in their class with them so they have the practice prior to going diving with "Joe Diver". As an instructor I do in fact have to change my teaching style so that I can convey whatever it is I mean at that point in time, however, I will not dumb down my class nor will I let someone slide through without completing everything in its entirety. I try to be supportive as possible but something that is apparent to you and not to many other OW divers, is that I can only hold your hand so much, it is up to you whether or not to figure out what you need to work on and master so that I will certify that person. Many feel that just because they take a scuba class they will get certified, that is not the case at all. You HAVE to put in the necessary work, which many find to be to hard nowadays. Its shameful how entitled people are nowadays.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom