To layer or not to layer? suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mvtek

Registered
Reaction score
OK, diving mostly in CT,RI,MA. I have a choice of a 1pc, 7mm ScubaPro stretch or a Scuba Pro 1pc 5mm with a 5mm shorty to go over it. Keeping in mind that I have a 2.5hooded vest to go with both if needed. Based on the board's experiences/knowledge, which do you think I would be better off with? I may want to take the occasional Florida dive. Im torn between layering with 10mm? or not to layer.

How about 7mm with 5mm shorty? I use a 7 mm with 3mm shorty works to 40 degrees F.

How are you legs and arms with the 7mm? Im thinking I would like the flex of the stretch suit, but the LDS says they tear easy. Not sure if its true or is he trying to get rid of whats on the rack?

Layering gives a lot of flexability and saves $$$. My standard suit is just a 3mm. When I need more I add a 5mm hooded vest giving my core 8mm. Everyone temp. tolerance is different, but this combo works perfect for me.

I have an Excel 6/7/8 semidry with built in hood. I was getting cold when the Monterey/Carmel water got to 50 and below, so I tried it with my 2/3 Excel underneath. I was toasty, but suffocating. The already snug semidry was now stifling. I spent $40 on a cheap 1/2 shorty at Costco, and my torso is still fine-though not as warm as with the full length suit-and I can live with being a little chilly in the arms and hands. The shorty is much more comfortable underneath and 10 times easier to get the full suit on and off over. Try the hooded vest and see how it goes, but I'd rather cover the whole core. My wife, now a dry suit diver, was wearing a 1/2 under her 7mil hyperstretch with a core warmer over the top and was still shivering 12 minutes into a 50 degree dive. With her DUI CL450 and Pinnacle wool and thinsulate undergarment, she's now toasty except her feet (time for insulated dry suit socks).

I use a 6.5 farmerjohn with a 3mm hooded vest and find it very compfortable in 50 deg water and then on the hot days I use the outer as a long sleeved shorty. Best of both worlds!

Start with worst case, diving in MA. Your summertime water gets a bit warmer than my Maine water but in the end if you push the seasons you will be into cold water too. When to go dry is not in your equation.

Go with the 7mm fullsuit and add the hooded vest. In your warmest sumertime water you can always back down to a bibbed hood, beanie or nada for head gear. Keep the hooded vest in the equation it will do wonders for your neck opening.

If you go with the 5mm and vest your legs and core will be OK for a while but your arms which are not working will chill and with that you will loose comfort in your hands. There's nothing evil about wearing enough neoprene.

As for Florida it depends on the destination and season. I know folks who dive dry down there. The 7mm full suit may not be out of line, again, adjust the head gear. If you're getting into really warm water spring for a 3mm when the time comes, they are cheap. You can still use that hooded vest to give the 3mm some extra Moxie.

Lastly if you can avoid a suit sold as a stretch suit IMO do so. Stretch means softness and that means less compression resistance. That means more loss of warmth at depth and more dynamic buoyancy swings. For my money a solid well fit suit is the way to go.

Pete

mvtek:
OK, diving mostly in CT,RI,MA. I have a choice of a 1pc, 7mm ScubaPro stretch or a Scuba Pro 1pc 5mm with a 5mm shorty to go over it. Keeping in mind that I have a 2.5hooded vest to go with both if needed. Based on the board's experiences/knowledge, which do you think I would be better off with? I may want to take the occasional Florida dive. Im torn between layering with 10mm? or not to layer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom