To Grease or Not To Grease

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

waynel

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
OK, this question has probably been asked one thousand times, and I looked hard for an existing thread. Couldn't find one, so I will torture you "pros" yet again with the agonizing, never-to-go-away question. To grease or not to grease...the rings!

I am brand new to underwater photography...not photography itself, I can F-stop with the best of them. But underwater? A whole new universe for me. I'm starting with the SeaLife DC600 with external strobe and wide angle lens. Nice little basic setup for $1,000. However, nowhere, let me repeat...nowhere in the owners manual does it say you must grease the rings in your housing. IS THIS TRUE?

Naturally, I will be bringing the empty housing down on my first dive to check for leaks. Will I get one if I don't grease?

the purpose of the grease is to keep the o-ring from drying out, that's it. In other words, don't grease it too much, just a little bit from time to time.
If you put too much grease on the o-ring, it will be sticky and attract everything you don't want on it and in your seal, like hair, lint, dirt.

Here is the deal. IF the Orings are simply compressed as the housing is closed then you do not need to grease the Oring...it does not hurt anything but is not necessary. On the other hand if ANY part of the sealing surfaces slides past(on) the Oring then it must be greased. Looking at the manual, this is a compression type so no grease is necessary. That said, I like to slide the Oring through my fingers feeling for grit, cuts or anything else that does not "feel" right. A little grease make this easier. A word of caution, some greases do not play well with some Orings. Make sure your Oring and the grease is compatible before using it.

I think Herman has it.... the grease is important if the o-ring must slide into place. Do not over grease it as the grease does not create the seal itself. Over-greasing, as Frank mentions can be problematic in attracting debris which may affect the seal integrity. And of course, the proper (usually manufacturer recommended or supplied) grease is important as improper grease can possibly cause o-ring swelling, which can also affect the seal integrity.

Thanks. I"ll be heading to Cozumel Friday and this will be the first time this camera is ever in the water. And thanks Herman for checking the manual and pointing out this SeaLife camera is a compression type not needing grease. That moved me into even further study about the types of housings. Question. It makes perfect sense to me that lightly greasing the ring would help with the drying situation, as well as inserting a new one. But how in the world do I find out what type of grease to use on the ring if the manual doesn't even mention grease? Should I contact SeaLife? Wanna bet they will be so proud of that compression housing they'll tell me not to grease that ring? Any generic type of grease that will play nice with everyone?

I wouldn't risk it, although I suppose you can always try out a grease on the o-ring and let it sit for a while to see what happens. You might end up damaging it, though if it doesn't work out. Best bet is to contact the manufacturer as really they are the ones what will know for sure.

Personally, I would not chance it but if you must my suggestion would be a water based silicon spray. At least they don't contain any thinning agents that might attack the rubber. Spray it on your hand and lube the ring in your hand. An email to Sealife can't hurt.
While your at it, I would suggest you also buy at least 1 (I like 2) spare Orings....never know when you might need it and during a dive trip is not the time you want to find a bad Oring with no spares. Same goes for strobe Orings if you have one.

Yes, I have a strobe as well. I also just got in a nice weight last night because I read this SeaLife camera and strobe has a bit of positive buoyancy to it. What a rookie! I was so focused on camera operation that little aspect never crossed my mind.

Thanks for the tips. I think my best bet is to just carry a few spares and forget any grease. Now I'll have a "save a dive" kit for both my camera and me. I'm sure when I get back on Feb. 1st, I'll have some questions concerning my actual shots. It's like taking everything I know about photography to a different world. I feel like an old dog about to learn some new tricks. Should be fun. Thanks again guys.

I had a DC310 and was told by a buddy not to grease the O ring as it's a compression housing. On my 7th dive with it (always inspecting the O ring before closing the housing), it flooded at 28 metres. It's now a lovely paperweight.

I've now got a Canon A640 with Canon housing and make sure the O ring is lightly greased. I agree that it does attract dirt and every loose fibre on the planet but always inspect it properly before closing the housing. If there's any grit or fibres on it make sure they're removed. The camera and strobes get the same treatment. I've done about 30 dives with it and had no problems at all. I'm not saying that it was definitely the lack of grease that caused the flood but after the experience I'll never dive with an ungreased O ring again.

Here is the deal. IF the Orings are simply compressed as the housing is closed then you do not need to grease the Oring...it does not hurt anything but is not necessary. On the other hand if ANY part of the sealing surfaces slides past(on) the Oring then it must be greased. Looking at the manual, this is a compression type so no grease is necessary. That said, I like to slide the Oring through my fingers feeling for grit, cuts or anything else that does not "feel" right. A little grease make this easier. A word of caution, some greases do not play well with some Orings. Make sure your Oring and the grease is compatible before using it.

I agree with this point of view, based on related experience. For scientific equipment, o-rings are frequently used for seals (both vacuum and high-pressure applications). Sliding or rotating seals require a little bit of grease to keep the o-ring from sticking or binding, although it will not hurt for static seals (i.e., face seals like the back of the camera housing). In either case, very little grease is needed and a lot will act as a hair magnet, so do not overdo it. The trick that Herman suggests of sliding the o-ring through your fingers is good both for judging how much grease you have applied, and more importantly, for checking the presence of grit or hair.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom