To feed or not to feed. That is the question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

but I can't help but feel that the problem Yosemite(sp?) National Park has been having with tourists and bears for the last 20 years (and it is getting worse) is instructive with regard to the feeding of sharks. Much of the root of the Yosemite problem is from the time when park rangers hand fed bears and placed bait in easily accessible areas for the viewing pleasure of park guests. I think that using bait to attract large apex predators for the viewing pleasure of people is not a good idea and usually ends badly for the non-humans. When it comes to sharks and bears I don't want either to associate my presence with food. The behavior of both sharks and humans in such a "stressed" situation can be unpredicable. There seems to little to no evidence linking the recent spate of shark attacks with the feeding of sharks during "shark dives" but I am reminded of the old saying: "Don't mess with Mother Nature"

Sam

Yosemite--the most beautiful place I have ever been! We used to go backpacking in the High Country, X-Country skiing in the Valley and around Inspiration Point, and ice skating beneath Half Dome! Man, did you fire up some very pleasant memories! Thank you!

But, since you mentioned land animals, I will note here what I noted in another Forum...

*************Lion Feeding Walks***********

Is there a soul out there who would have a guide toss out a box of red meat, dripping blood, to a pride of lions and, then, follow that guide, on foot, wearing your only your Banana Republic Safari Outfit through the pride? Unarmed except for a camera? I suspect not! But that is the terrestrial equivalent of a shark feeding dive! There is just some difference that we do not understand between the two types of predators. It would be fascinating to understand it.

Joewr--back to the breakfast dishes I go....

I agree there may not be a right answer as everyone sees it differently. The way I see it is here in Canada we warn the tourists do not feed the bears or any wildlife. People think the pretty bear is cute or that that huge moose is so pretty i want to pet it. NO! Bears become dependant when humans feed them and this results in the bears comeing closer to civilization. Then when they come in to town the end up hurting someone or disturbing something and we end up shooting them or putting them in a different habitat where they dont belong.

My point is that I think its wrong for us to be exploiting these animals this way. Like it was said before we dont have alot of wildlife left.

Stepping of my soapbox. Thanks

I can tell you've never been on a shark dive. Nobody's forcing you to go on one, either. They won't mess with you if you don't have food (YOU are NOT shark food). But don't dictate to others what they can or can't do. It makes NO SENSE to outlaw FEEDING them when it's legal to KILL them.

Originally posted by wheezy
That's a big negative in my book.

I have one and only one good reason

It get's sharks "used" to being around human beings and more specifically DIVERS... I'm sorry but this is a bad thing.

The scariest thing about diving (I think a lot will agree with me) is that "things" can come from any direction be it up down left right... INCLUDING SHARKS...

I know some people get all stoked on seeing them... I DON'T LIKE IT...

SCARES THE BEJESUS OUT OF ME... anyhow, they are best viewed from a distance (preferrably an enclosed distance like Sea World) and a curious hungry shark looking for handouts is not my idea of a GOOD TIME...

So there ya have it... anyone else (this will be one of those 10 page posts eventually)

I enjoy shark dives and really do not see anything wrong with them...but I certainly do understand and appreciate the positions folks who are opposed to them take. It is just not my position.

Joewr...from the right--but a little left of Bob Novak

I hope it's all right for a newbie to weigh in here. I get the sense that this has been debated a number of times around here, so maybe what I have to say won't be all that new...

Has anyone stopped and looked at who is spearheading this debate? I don't mean the media frenzy going on right now about the sharks off New Smyrna Beach. I mean the special interest group who wants the shark dives stopped: the spearfishermen. They want to be able to spearfish without attracting sharks, and they think that the sharks being desensitized to humans through shark feeding is hurting their chances of making it out of the water with their catch intact.

Unfortunately, it's not the shark feeds causing interest from the sharks. It's association with the sound of the speargun. Just like Pavlov's dog... that sound means an easy dinner.

There isn't any evidence that shark feeds are causing shark attacks. There isn't any evidence that shark feeding is causing problems for spearfishermen. There isn't any evidence that kids getting their arms bitten off or surfers being bittten who then get interviewd by Good Morning America has any link to shark feeding, either. Which means it boils down to a philisophical question: should we feed wild animals? I'm on the fence about it. Until I see actual evidence of harm -- to the sharks or the divers involved, I say don't stop them.

So the newbie weighs in, probably terminally angering any spearfishermen on this board. No offense intended. I'm not a troll, just pleased to see a board where issues of interest to me are under discussion.

Julie

My vote is feed away. :D

Most of the Shark Dives I have been on where resorts have professional shark feeders, conduct business in a safe manner. I assume that's why they stay in business and client/s return time after time. I have yet to see or hear of a guest who got bit. Divers pay to see the show and usually come away loving it and feeling good about themselves for being part of the experience.

Earlier post: for a friend to turn into an enemy because you don't mind someone feeding sharks was never a friend in the first place. Diving is a fun and exciting sport for me. I have been doing it for years. Maybe some of you who really think your environmentalist should ride glass bottom boats instead of diving. :froggy:

I have not been on a shark feeding dive but they have recently started one here. I was intriqued and was talking to one of the guys that works for that dive operation. After hearing how they are doing research and tagging and getting all kinds of valuable information about their sharks to share with the world I thought, great!, this sounds like something that I'd like to do. And what better way to make people aware that sharks are not man eaters than by putting them in the water surrounded by these great and beautiful creatures. Then I started hearing that the local fishermen in that area were blaming the shark feeding on loss of income and that they were killing any shark that they caught. Bad, bad news! Also heard about a divemaster that was setting an anchor miles away from the shark feeding area being shadowed closely by a tagged shark. Disconcerting?
There is no doubt at all in my mind that the recent media "frenzy" is just that.... frenzy. And maybe shark feeding is great for exposing otherwise "shark-scared" people to the myth of "Man-eaters".... but,we also have to take into consideration if it's truly for the sharks benefit.
My vote is still out.. but that's my .02. Casey

I personally will never go on a shark feeding dive. ANCLOTTE KEY - FLORIDA read about it this past week. Sharks schooling was the headline by me. I go there every weekend and swim with my family and a few other 100 people (boat access only). This is not the first nor the last of the sharks there. By the way during another time of year it's sting rays! I promise, swim here, you'll see at least one shark and a ray. I'm not chumming here...don't need to stir them up. They leave us alone and we repay the favor, but they are there daily. It is usually nurse sharks, or shovel nose sharks. Did see one hammerhead last year..we all got out of the water for him for a while-fear ruled. Someone brought in an eight to nine foot tiger shark in (was in his truck and filled the bed). I asked him where he got it. He said between the sand bar and the island. I took my 10 year old fishing, using squid and #10 hooks. Just dropped anchor an let him fish, not expecting to catch anything except for the sun. Don't you know he catches about a 4 foot shark. They are all around us in Florida. I will dive and swim but not feed or go in water that has had bait or chum. You know what worries me more than sharks...baracuda...they scare me...any one else worried about them?

Back
Top Bottom