To camera or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rexman24

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Please answer yes or no, and why? Me

NO- I used to, dives 10-240. To early I know but didn't know then. Lost my camera last June. Since then, my diving has improved beyond discription.. I have better control, air use, awareness, etc. I now dive simply for the love of being underwater and seeing all the great creatures there. I love it. I have no plans to go back to a camera anytime soon. Thanks and enjoy your dives!

No.

Had same experience you did, camera was ruining dives. I like to soak up everything im seeing, and feeling. Trading that for pics and videos 10x worse than youtube, makes no sense.

I might take a go pro down, clipped to my d ring, but only to take a couple pics to prove i was there. Less than 3 minutes.

No.

Had same experience you did, camera was ruining dives. I like to soak up everything im seeing, and feeling. Trading that for pics and videos 10x worse than youtube, makes no sense.

I might take a go pro down, clipped to my d ring, but only to take a couple pics to prove i was there. Less than 3 minutes.
Agree and same feelings, and no longer feel I have to prove anything to anyone!
One of my favorite quotes:
It is nome of my business what others think of me.

Yes, tends to slow one down so they see more. I don’t use a big fancy strobes type camera just a sealife, I always say I’m a diver that takes pictures not a photographer who dives.
5214ACA6-B2FC-4C74-B0B2-F9EDB3B754CE.jpeg
28228CB9-4493-42BC-8A5A-B574FF73F664.jpeg
58E88057-F917-4EF0-B5BC-DEA0480A8DEF.jpeg
B4206402-9E73-4849-9956-FBFA4456481F.jpeg
AFE1899B-362E-422B-908B-D95E20607217.jpeg
417037B7-AD63-4E5A-8CB7-5460AE8BEC3E.jpeg
A5605B64-7D87-4537-8A36-020E6B29DCE1.jpeg
563494FD-DBAD-4E6F-A20B-A2F565A37B1D.jpeg
FBF4E1B0-FBAF-4767-B59F-EDBD9C60087B.jpeg
AF9B72FF-CDB3-4F1E-B0BE-B019E099A310.jpeg

I should have waited some before I took a camera, but I don’t take pictures for anyone but me! I share them with people who ask about diving, many, many people are very curious.

I have arrived at a happy medium. I take a reasonable point and shoot, Canon G7X, in a nice Nauticam housing. I take ambient light photos and use the simple one button WB. I do no processing other than occasional cropping.

The photos are just for me, my family and friends, and for trip reports. I think photos add to the value of trip reports, not just underwater but the resort or liveaboard... Works out great for me, not much time and energy and does not interfere with my overall enjoyment of my diving. At one point, I was spending all my time looking for the next photo and was missing a lot. I often do not take my camera when I am diving by myself in Florida.

I have several trip reports on SB Trip Report - Bonaire: Den Laman and Dive Friends, August 17-31. 2022

@lexvil, love the Mola molas :)

Yes - With a couple of caveats…

1) Wait until you are a comfortable diver and skills have become second nature.
2) Use a simple rig that doesn’t require 100% of your attention.

My goal with a camera/video rig is to capture highlights of the dive/trip and then create a video for me and friends as memories to relive the experience. I use a TG6/Go Pro combo on a tray with a couple of compact lights. The TG6 can be demanding but I can choose to use the Go Pro instead or do nothing and just enjoy moment. I like the iPhone cases because of this and have seen some very good videos and pics from these setups. I do feel that a couple of good video lights are needed but the core simplicity is the key.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom