To all my FL brothers and sisters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is it like diving after a major storm? Any neat finds? Are divers needed for search & recovery?

What is it like diving after a major storm? Any neat finds? Are divers needed for search & recovery?

After a major storm, most people are concerned about things like electricity, water, or cooking food. After a category 4 storm, lots of folks will be worried about whether they actually still have a home. These are my concerns right now for our friends in Florida. Fingers crossed for you folks.

Hurricane Matthew affected our area here in Hobe Sound (SE Florida about 40 miles north of West Palm Beach) beginning the evening of October 6....about 11 PM. Minimal damage took place in our development. There were a few trees down but mainly the debris was broken palm fronds and oak tree branches. The wind howled for several hours (guessing around 80 mph) and we got some rain, but not as much as we thought we would. Living in a concrete house (not concrete blocks but poured concrete walls) and having storm shutters made us feel much safer. Our patio/pool screen enclosure could have been destroyed, but it survived beautifully. We were well prepared for our first hurricane ever. Lots of bottled water, food, a generator, charged up cell phones, etc. Our power went out at 3 AM on Oct. 7 and FPL had us back on the grid by 7:30 PM the same day. God bless those hard workers!!!!! Yesterday (Oct. 8) was a day of cleaning up the debris and helping our elderly neighbors on both sides of us clean up their yards. Today was spent power washing the patio and hauling all the furniture back outside. All in all, we are very fortunate to have come out of the Cat 4 hurricane as well as we did.

But I really would have rather been diving!!!!!:):):):scubadiver:

Glad to hear that you made out OK! Indeed, I was worried about the intensity of the storm, could have been a lot worse.

Absolutely could have been a lot worse! I was watching the news tonight and feel so bad for the people in North Carolina where there's so much flooding. So sad.

Thanks so much, CajunDiva. I know you understand how scary hurricanes can be!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom