To All divers in the UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbulmer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
UKDivers (warm or cold)

If you have ever considered putting something back into the sport well now's your chance.

http://www.divernet.com/news/stories/hood110104.shtml

PS For North Americans reading this, this site is a very popular site not only for wreck diving but also for training and is one of the most popular in the UK.
Essentially the site is being closed without consultation and quite a few divers are pretty miffed about it - for me it's all the more annoying as a warm water diver training for cold water since this would be a site I would probably be going to.
If you have been to the site and want to protest too be my guest.

From another group (DIR)

Dear all,

DiverNet has set up an online petition with regard to the
controversial ban to stop all diving on the HMS Hood while Portland
Port appears to be facing growing reaction and pressure every day.

Please express your views. Please let it be known that the UK and
international Diving Community is here and alive and united on
issues that affects it.

The petition is now on:

http://www.divernet.com/xtra/hoodpet1.shtml

Thanks and regards
Izzy

The issue is a big one so please do as Izzy asks and be pro-active.

I've added a new thread to the main forum regarding this. Might get more readers.

Adrian

petition signed.

I have some good memories of diving HMS Hood

Jon T

Thanks gentlemen (I assume?)

Why exactly are they forbidding divers to dive the HMS Hood?
The article's didn't really say much - I still signed it anyway.

I think the thread in the other forum is getting more exposure...
ANy more news for the port authority?

Boney,
This thread was originally in the main forum and was then moved by accident.

I have copied a mail from another non Scubaboard forum (unlike the author I do care about the diving since but you can make up your own mind)

"The issue is really not exclusively that of diving on the Hood (though local business and livelihood will definitely suffer from a decision taken with no consultation). Its more about the "longer term" plans of Portland Port that deems diving and other martitime recreational activities as a non-profit maker for themselves. IMHO it strongly links to the plans to build the oil terminal just south of the entrance. The windmills are just an add-on.

Most likely these will lead to the removing the Hood (which, as you say, has been there for decades). This has always been believed to be the primary objective of PP. In order to give way to larger (deeper) vessels.

If this happens all entrances of the harbour will suddenly be vented ~ possible leaks and pollution from the oil terminal then being a secondary concern.

This could well mean an environmental/ecological change of a great magnitude. Far more greater a responsibility to be trusted to contracting company who uses its contracting companies to draw conclusions.

As everyone who's come to Portland will know, the harbour is currently a port for many species including near extinct species of birds, the so-called migrated form of the "African Blenny", a variety of Sea Pens and a small yet dramatic settlement of the Red Band Fish (among many others). Further, it actually feeds and vents the Fleet which is a precious nature reserve. And I do mean very precious.

Neither Apex, not Portland Port, nor even the local Enevironmental agency (notr even the government ones) are currently equipped with any information or research that should allow the 'plan' with unknown consequences --if there is such a one-- to proceed. I'm saying years, not months, are required to gauge the long term effects of such a 'removal'.

As for collapsing wrecks, ban penetration of all wrecks. <G> Can anyone show a single wreck in tidal conditions over six decades topside down (to quote the PP's argument) that is not *not* "degraded" and that is *not* "collapsing on itself"? The Spaniard, though shallow, could become a death trap in low visibility conditions. The bows of the countess (the holds) are collapsing. The Bombardon Unit is somewhere any diver could get squeezed in etc. etc.

An all-out ban with no consultation, no second opinion, no talks, no known government contact especially in the midst of a major oil terminal project and at the base of proposed future windmills is suspicious, yes, but not a superficial issue. i.e. what will happen when the terminal is launched, what will happen if the Hood is removed, what the "silt level" changes and full oxygenation will mean for what life this place harbours are the real issue :-( Personally, I couldn't care less about the diving side."

singned - Many, many found memories of diving the hood and Portland Harbour

Jonathan

Back
Top Bottom