TMJ and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WaterDawg

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi guys,

My wife wants to start diving this summer, but she suffers from TMJ. Does anyone know anything about this jaw dissorder and how it might affect diving?

Started during a trip to Cozumel. I thought I was dealing with sore or infected jaw. After I got back, MD treated with antibiotics. Then he sent me to a dentist.

Although I don't tend to bite down too hard on my mouthpiece (or at least I didn't think I did) part of my cure was a SeaCure mouthpiece. I believe there are other mouthpiece options which are less dependend on a firm bite. I guess a full face mask might work as a last resort.

She's going to have to work hard at not bearing down on that mouthpiece.

My wife had TMJ and had jaw surgery to correct it. The surgery was in and out day surgery with a couple days off work. It was all done with two tiny little incisions. In her case, it worked. She still has some minor jaw "clicking" and it seems to be somewhat of a regressive disorder in that even if you have had surgery, you may need to go back later to have it done again. I know she'd recommend fully investigating the surgical option.

I have taken the liberty of redirecting your inquiry to the Diving Medicine forum as it appears more a medical matter than one relating to the scientific aspects of decompression. Dr. Deco will still see it.

I have also alerted our diving dentist, Dr. Larry Stein, of your inquiry.

In the meantime, you might find this piece he wrote informative----> http://scuba-doc.com/lkdjw.html

Best regards.

DocVikingo

I was diagnosed with TMJ today. I've been getting headaches after my Sunday Dive 8 days ago. I went to the Fast Track ER today to get checked out and was told I have TMJ. I am on Medication right now but will still go diving this Saturday. I am just going to call DAN and see if it is a good idea to not take my medications on my diving days. In my case I don't get a lot of jaw pain (very little) it is the headaches. Maybe a new mouthpiece might be the answer. Wish your wife luck and hopefully she can go diving.

Jimmy

Thanks everyone,

Im going to look into getting a diffrent mouth piece for her, as a full face mask is not an option. I hope those of you out there w/ TMJ dont get worse. Later

Hi Waterdawg,

Sorry to hear about the TMJ. The Scubadoc link has more information than you might ever want to know about the condition. Check it and the links within.

Surgery is indicated in less than 2% of all TMJ cases. If it suggested that you do surgery as a first treatment, run as fast as possible. You may have to go onto an anti-inflammatory like Vioxx or Celebrex. Muscles relaxants and sedatives that have muscle relaxing qualities can be used (like Valium) but only for short term use.

An anterior bite splint like a NTI-tss device may produce relief. The SeaCure may actually increase the amount of clenching forces applied to the regulator. This is because posterior teeth are making contact and a neuromuscular reflex that tells the jaw to bear down harder if something is placed between the molar teeth.

The SeaCure also requires that a diver position the jaws in the "centric" position. Since you have no idea what that is , it is improbable that you will do so successfully.

The anti-inflammatory route is probably the best course of immediate action. Advil taken, 3 tablets every 6 hours or Aleve, 2 tablets every 8 hours for at least a week may help.

Avoid large sandwiches or wide opening, stiffle a wide yawn. No gum chewing. The US Divers Comfo-bite may be useful because you dont have to press on it.

See your dentist ASAP for a bite splint, bite adjustment or other pallative treatment.

I hope this helps. Definitely check the Scubadoc site.

Larry Stein:doctor:

I have TMJ and just learned to dive this past winter. I had a lot of trouble clearing my left ear which is the side I have TMJ on. On one of my dives, as I was coming up, I felt a horrible pain on that side that lasted for a few minutes. When I finally made it to the top, I didn't feel my TMJ at all. Every dive after that, I had no problem clearing my ears. Now it's back again (I think stress brings it on) and I'm going diving again in November. I was wondering if the TMJ has something to do with not being able to clear my left ear quickly or if it was just a coincidence.:rolleyes:

~Renee

I don't know. I would suspect a coincidence simply because the TMJ and the clearing of ones ears are in different anatomic locations.

While the middle ear and the joints have close proximity, the route the air takes starts inside the nose.

On the otherhand, I can't rule it out...stranger things have happened.

I would have the joint checked out. The pain is an indicator that something is wrong and a sudden sharp pain may indicate that the condition is possibly getting worse.

Laurence Stein DDS

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom