TLS 350 Exploration package

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aaen

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
After months of research and narrowing down what I want in a dry suit, I have been informed that after deciding on a DUI TLS 35o exploration package that it is only available in the europen marke, by my local dealer. What is the deal with this, it is on DUI's website in the technical documents, and I have seena few people with this exact smae suit. Someone please tell me my dealer is mistaken, and that I am able to purchase this suit.

Steve

Please clarify an exploration package.... I haven't heard it... It is on ther price sheet. I might look at it though...

Well it is the dry suit options the WKPP divers chose for there cve dives. It is listed here on there website. I can get the options on the suit, just not as a pcakage so i am going to pay through the roof for the options like 400-500 more, when all they are really doing is like addign a cordura/tough duck overlay on the knees and butt, the overlay on the torso is standard but in a differnt pattern then what is offered right now as a standard option, of an dyou get a reinforced area for the p-valve. Looks lik I may jsut say screw it and go for the cf200 like I originally planned.

http://www.dui-online.com/tech_tls_sweetin.html

steve

Are you interested in an exploration option because you plan to do a cave diving in future or you just want to worship your DIR 'Say So" guy?

As you know, there is a cave cut, overlay blah blah blah. But, I have seen many active cave divers who are using a stock option without any trouble.

I had a chance to talk with a DUI technical staff about adding a cordura/tough duck overlay on the knees and butt on my TLS350. Actually, they were laughing at it... It is overkill, even for a wreck diver. Yeah, basically, they said that they have that option because some people are looking for. That's it....

I only put an extra long knee pad by choosing a sport package though...

Hmm, that is a god questoin, basically I am plannigno ngetting into Cave diving in the near future. Originally I wanted the cf200 but was told it would be to heavy, I am basically going off of recomendations from like minded divers and instructors I have meet.

At one time a few months ago I was going to buy the techniflex suit from USIA, but having dove with a bunch of people who have them that say they absolutely love them, i have decided against going with them(yes I know this makes no sense keep reading), not because they are not a good product but mainly due to seeing how my dealer measures the suits. The suits are measured way to large for the majority of the people who have them here, literally looks like three people could fit into it My boss and a few dive buddies had to have them sent back on there own due to not wanting to deal with the dealer because the measurements given to USIA were not even close to what the real measurements were. And unfortunatley they had to do this on there own dime. That being said USIA is a wonderful company just my dealer in the area I do not trust with the measurements when it comes to that much money being spent.

As for trying to fit into the mold of DIR, well yes and no. I am obviously on the path to becoming DIR proficient but the gear doesn;t have to be 100% what the instructors are wearing, heck I want a green force light, I have yet to see a GUE instructor wearing one, always seesm to be HAlcyon(wonder why). I just want the best gear my money can buy, I spent months researching everything I purchase before I throw down my hard earned cash. Sometimes I spend so dam long researching the net, dealers and various boards reading everythign I could find to the point of almost confusion, but all of my research has been pointing me towards the TLS 350, and I figured i would get the exploration package, to make it a tougher suit, I am not the easiest on gear, I take care of my gear mind you rather well, just I am hard on it. That being said I am also not a tiny little fella, so I was not going to get the cave cut, I tend to be in the gym 5-6 nights a week, which has lead me to beign able to throw around a set of double 130's like it is nothing and also to be in a 7mm wet suit with only about 17 pounds of weight(including backplate and lp95 tank). Sorry off topic there. I am going to talk to DUI today to find out what is going on, if the package is truly on ly available from Europe then I will buy the tls 350 and just pay the extra to add the overlay material on.

Sorry about making this so dam long, way to early and I have a feeling I may not make a lot of sense in this post due to it being early in the morning here in Phoenix.

Steve

I got the overlay on the butt, and have been happy with it. I did not want buttpad because I thought that would be too much but the overlay is nice. Maybe overkill but we will see as buddy did not get it and we do the same dives and can compare how the suits wear.
DUI advised choosing between the knee overlay or kneepads, absolutely not going for both (too stiff/clumsy). Since kneepads were "free" for signature series I got those. I felt they'd give more protection anyway. I don't know if you'd really need more than the CLX tough duck overlay on the upper body? That again you can get "free" with the signature series package. What is the upper body protection supposed to give?

If you are looking for that much more reinforcement, you might as well aim for the CLX because you are effectively making the TLS as stiff as the CLX in the process, no? I wonder which one would be the choice at that point and why.

Steve,

Based on your explantion. It is much clear to see where your research started...

When I was shopping around for a dry suit, I used to hear that you would end up with DUI TLS350. I was looking at DC and DUI suits. And, I went with DUI after participating DUI days.

Pikki, interesting. I asked about buttpad by excusing boating riding in some foreign countries. They suggested putting the jet fins under my butt while I was riding a boat. Another point that they raised was a possible leak and functure. As you know, any additional option should be sewed and glued on TLS series. So, there is more failure point. In addition, if there is any leak and puncture under the pad, it isn't easy to trace down a right point. So, basically, leave it alone and repair it whenever something is happened.

Who cares what options we decide. DUI doesn't care because they can make money as well, but that is what I was told from DUI techies. Even, their suits don't have that kind of option... LOL~~~

Just my 2 bar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom