TL bus cleanup? Wednesday?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrispete

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
A few of us were chatting about the state of the bus at TL and how it's covered in a nice 1" mat of algae, etc. that makes it a bit hard to recognize. Eric suggested bringing some brooms (I have a couple that I can bring that are worn out and can't use on floors anymore) and "sweeping" it up a little bit - I'd figure that if something like that was to be done, it would be best to do it mid-week so the mats of algae could make their way to land before the classes start on Sat. Would anyone be up for this, be too tired, or of the opinion that we should just leave it be?

Its kinda neat that it is a host for life (and I imagine the fish like it as well :wink: )

True, its not quite the same as an artificial reef, but the algae does give the bus a more mysterious air :)

(Just another point of view - the more or less lazy one)

jeff

That old thing has been there a long time, the fish never have trouble finding it! If cleaning all the algae away is just to make it easier for divers to find, I say leave it alone. We've never had trouble finding it....it's a BIG bus! And it's marked with a bouy.

Besides, who's to say that mat of algae doesn't have some impact on the ecology of the pond.

And like Fetch, that mysterious look is cool!

I vote no to the cleaning. Instead, maybe a little practice with navigation?

Beast said.....no never mind. There's a reason he isn't allowed near the keyboard!

heh, was just a thought that we were chatting about anyway while floating there - figured I'd bring it up in forum so it could be discussed :) I'm sure Beast will tell me his thoughts about it Wednesday, so I've got it coming either way I guess. :wink:

I have the same view as to leaving it alone.And while this subject of artificial reef is on the mind ,when diving, the trick to reef diving is to LOOK and DO NOT TOUCH!
I went thru the bus twice Saturday with very little disturbance of the inside silt by pulling not finning.When I was outside the bus I noticed a couple of divers finning across the top which was blowing off those mats of alge.Lets be careful when we dive around habitats of the marine life so they have a familiar place to come home to .Besides,Those mats of alge are gross when they are on the surface and decide to cling to ya!:spank:

The min you start to clean you won't be able to see what your cleaning and will take a long while to settle down. You'll end up with crummy vis for the rest of the weekend. I say leave it alone

Scuba Barbie once bubbled...
What is "pulling not finning"?

Using your hands to pull yourself along rather than kicking with your fins and stirring up sediment.

This is pretty much the only way to get through the bus anyway, but just as an addendum:

Going through the bus without SOME form of gloves is a very very bad idea (and yes, I've done so - what, practice what I preach? :wink: ). There are a few edges inside that could pretty easily break your skin enough to give you an annoying (if not exactly life-threatening) infection.

Everyone probably knows this, doesn't mean it doesn't bear some repeating :)
(I lucked out last dive, most of my cuts came from fiddling with my backplate in the water).

jeff

Cave Diver once bubbled...

Using your hands to pull yourself along rather than kicking with your fins and stirring up sediment.

Back
Top Bottom