Titanium and neoprene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

missnoisy

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
This is something that is bothering me (and moreso my partner). Many wetsuits, hoods, boots, etc are advertised as 'titanium' products. A bit of research has suggested that is means that these items have layers of a product containing titanium applied to the neoprene, in order to increase the warmth of the garment.

My question is why titanium, and not some other metal? As I understand, titanium is a better heat conductor than neoprene, so what is the point of all this? Is it just some advertising gimmick, trying to get people to buy these garments, or is there actually some truth to it all?

Some input from someone in the know as to the physics of neoprene products would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Sarah

Last edited:
Sarah,

Industry insiders among others have told me it's all hype and seems to be fading from the marketplace. These suits generally have a smooth skin interior and that texture is advantageous since a well fit suit will cling to you and shut down water movement in a great way. The Henderson Gold core is an example as was the Bare SGS line.

You did make one statement,"As I understand, neoprene is a better heat conductor than titanium, so what is the point of all this?" I think you meant insulator, not neoprene. You can read a little more about materials here.

Pete

Thanks for that Pete.

I was confusing myself, titanium is indeed a better heat conductor than neoprene. Knew something wasn't quite right when I reread my initial post!

Cheers,
Sarah

I have Xcel titanium lined wetsuit and gloves. They also have booties. It is definitely easier to get on and is warmer. I particularly notice this in the gloves. I normally use pretty thick gloves for 46F temps. I can use the Xcel 3/2 glove with titanium. They are much more comfortable.

The Xcel site explains how they have a layer of Ti then nylon and how it reflects heat back. My Polar XCS 9/7/6 is warm.

http://www.xcelwetsuits.com/dive/index.php?area=products

I did not think it was actual Ti. I thought it was just a product (fabric) name. After reading the Xcel website, it seems like it may be actual Ti. I am unsure. Gold core is a different product than Ti that is the reason for the different name, but they seem to do the same thing. I wonder which performs better?

Also the conducting properties of Ti or Au may not matter since the outside layer is insulating neoprene so the heat will stay on the inside and the reflective property is what matters.

Henderson's website does not say that the Titanium wetsuits have Ti or that the Gold Core has gold so it seems to be a product/fabric name.

Last edited:
when I asked this question, I was there is no actual Ti in the suits, its just a type of liner than helps retain heat. Hence the reason the Henderson made it "gold"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom