Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I
Huh.

It’s a bit of a surprise to me. It may be a US company, but operating from a Canadian flagged vessel, from a Canadian port, in international waters.

The US Coast Guard can investigate, but the findings are useless.
Call me a cynic, but this is a very high profile incident and does involve the death of a U.S. citizen. A possible result of the investigation might simply to be to verify that US agencies had no control of the vessel and therefore icannot be blamed for lack of enforcement

I suspect the British, French and Pakistan governments will also do something, even if it is a coroners inquest.

The following has more information
U.S. Coast Guard Declares Titan Loss a 'Major Marine Casualty' and contains links to lawyers already posting about the incident

Where was the Titan manufactured, according to hklaw.com
U.S. regulations also require that vessels built in the United States or operating in U.S. waters be certificated by the USCG to meet applicable requirements for safety at sea, as well as other regulations established pursuant to law

For what it's worth, I concur with this analysis:

One point is worth clarification, "off the shelf" components. A great number of "off the shelf" components are used in commercial and military aircraft, nuclear submarines, saturation diving systems, and DSVs (manned Deep Submergence Vehicle). However, there is a HUGE difference between industrial and Mil-Spec grade products like Swagelok, CPV, Airpax, and DG O’Brien versus consumer products like game controllers and big box hardware store parts.

Dunno about where you live, but at my Home Depot the submersible aisle is two down from the cave diving aisle. One trip down there for essentials and then to the plumbing aisle for a hot water heater, cut the top off and then a quick run through appliances for the door from a front load washer and you are practically already at the grand staircase.

Dunno about where you live, but at my Home Depot the submersible aisle is two down from the cave diving aisle. One trip down there for essentials and then to the plumbing aisle for a hot water heater, cut the top off and then a quick run through appliances for the door from a front load washer and you are practically already at the grand staircase.
Why would you heat hot water?

Why would you heat hot water?
As soon as I typed that I knew someone would come along and "correct" it. :p

Well... If you accidentally made too much of it, you can put it in the freezer...then you'll still have it the next time you need it....

Anyone know why they built it out of carbon and titanium in the first place? That construction seems more like a space ship than a submarine! Composites make way more sense for pressure tanks where the fibres are in tension than vacuum tanks, and we scuba divers have decided they’re mostly a waste of time underwater… A quarter mill per ticket doesn’t actually take you that far in this game either; seems they were aggressively cutting costs in other areas. Why use these very expensive ultra-light materials when they could use simple, reliable, and much cheaper homogeneous steel?

Anyone know why they built it out of carbon and titanium in the first place? That construction seems more like a space ship than a submarine! Composites make way more sense for pressure tanks where the fibres are in tension than vacuum tanks, and we scuba divers have decided they’re mostly a waste of time underwater… A quarter mill per ticket doesn’t actually take you that far in this game either; seems they were aggressively cutting costs in other areas. Why use these very expensive ultra-light materials when they could use simple, reliable, and much cheaper homogeneous steel?
If memory serves the CEO had a background in aerospace engineering and/or in the aerospace industry so maybe he just went with what he knew and tried to apply that to submersibles?

1687803514492.png

Back
Top Bottom