Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you go back and look at my post, you'll see that it was simply subjectively relating the forces involved to a (for some folks) more understandable expression of those forces. I didn't say your calcs were wrong, simply that they were off point related to my post.
And here is the point!
You continue to talk about "force".
Force is not relevant for explaining what happened or for assessing the amplitude of the sound pressure pulse generated by the implosion.
The relevant physical quantity is energy, which can be expressed in many different units.
If you do not like Joules or kg of TNT, we can express this quantity in other units.
For example, 95 kg of TNT are equivalent to 1100 kWh.
Or, if you prefer to use British Thermal Units (BTU), it is equivalent to 3700000 BTU.
Problem is not units, it is using force instead of energy.

Yes, we still use inches and feet, and have imperial wrenches, as well as adjustable wrenches for the crap that slipped by the Buy American program.
The nuts and bolts and wrenches but the combustion chambers volumes and the stuff that on the design side in metric, right?
Even the US made cars don't give the engine size in gallons or ounces but in liters or cc, no?
AFAIK, companies like Tesla buy lots of components from Europe and Asia. If all your development is in imperial, it would be a major PITA to use a different system than all your suppliers.
I don't know anything about ship building though.

As stated, Germans invented rockets.

The modern liquid fuel rocket was invented by Goddard in 1926. His was an American from Massachusetts. Van Braun was still a young teenager.

It's also interesting to see the number of things designed from scratch in metric units that have a dimension of, say for instance, 25.4mm, or something similarly related to base imperial units.
Like all the electronics stuff. Odd metric spacing is standard, which if converted to 'Merica standards comes out as nice inch spacing.

And lets not forget the Whitworth thread. You probably have some and don't even know it. Camera mounts are Whitworth threads. But the threads cross over to standard American sizes that it doesn't matter and nobody really cares. Even with mis-matched thread pitch the fastening is way stronger than a camera can ever use.

So when do you folks think the movie about this tragedy will be coming out? Is the ending going to be different, a happy ending, or the same? The proceeds I believe should go to the victims' families (except the dipshitt CEO).

Do the victim's families really need monetary compensation?

The nuts and bolts and wrenches but the combustion chambers volumes and the stuff that on the design side in metric, right?
Even the US made cars don't give the engine size in gallons or ounces but in liters or cc, no?
AFAIK, companies like Tesla buy lots of components from Europe and Asia. If all your development is in imperial, it would be a major PITA to use a different system than all your suppliers.
You're right, I don't remember ever seeing combustion chamber volumes in anything other than CCs. Current engine sizing though? For instance, a 5.7L engine isn't 5.7L becaust that was the design goal, it's becasue that is the metric equivalent of 350 cubic inches. The common US V8s are 7.4L or 6.2L or whatever based on imperial bore and stroke measurements. 2.0L, 3.0L, yep, totally right...but not 5.0, that's from a 302.

And here is the point!
You continue to talk about "force".
Force is not relevant for explaining what happened or for assessing the amplitude of the sound pressure pulse generated by the implosion.
The relevant physical quantity is energy, which can be expressed in many different units.
If you do not like Joules or kg of TNT, we can express this quantity in other units.
For example, 95 kg of TNT are equivalent to 1100 kWh.
Or, if you prefer to use British Thermal Units (BTU), it is equivalent to 3700000 BTU.
Problem is not units, it is using force instead of energy.
My apologies, I know better than that, you're right about force and energy, of course.

But you're critique is still way off point.

Other than defence products, what's still made or designed in the US these days anyway?
This proves at least one of them has a sense of humor.

Interesting concept.

I looked up the GE LM2500 gas turbine.

Ratings are a hodge podge.

Net Output in MW
Net Heat Output in both BTU and kJ

US designed engines are in Cubic Inches, but it's where Americans first learn Metric, as newer US cars and foreign designed US built cars are rated in Liters, Horsepower, and miles (statute) per gallon (US, not imperial).

Ship Building in the USA is protected by a system called the Jones Act, so ship builders/designers do not have to learn metric. I buy cable by the foot, and official ship measurements are in feet, and pounds and tons, yet cargo is in metric tonnes and cubic meters.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom