Titanic tourist sub goes missing sparking search

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I guess they weren’t sure so they had to investigate anyway?
It was strange because people watching the AIS locator beacons from the ships could see them running search patterns up until ROVs arrived. Maybe just looking for the wreckage with sidescan but looked like they were still looking.

Regarding the large amount of government $$$ likely consumed in the search ...

Remember, government assets (hardware, personnel, consumables) are used regularly for training purposes. At substantial $$$ cost and not-infrequently, cost of lives.

While this is is a bit of an edge case for SAR, it is not outside the scope of objectives (see all the commentary above about the original "find" of the Titanic as a side benifit of a clandestine government-sponsored, nominally private-sector mission and the earlier project Azorian/K-129/Glomar Explorer) that legitimately arise.

I certainly think that the US government has developed (and/or VERY MUCH wants) in-house capability to perform deep SAR capability without the NEED to bring in "private" assets - plausible deniability in clandestine operations aside.

Despite all the jokes and criticisms about the inefficiencies and sometimes questionable (from the outside at least) gov/mil decision making, there are some very smart, very dedicated career people in the ranks. There is a huge amount of knowledge to be gained from a real world deployment, and I expect that this event chain will be deeply reviewed. Both of, and at, the individual asset level, and at the systemic level. Sensing/intel, analysis, mobilization, equipment efficacy, etc.

I would not be surprised if an objective accounting down the road would report that the ROI is better than the training/testing cycles that it, at least could, replace.

Wasn't a confirmed implosion sounds, just a suspected implosion sound.

If it's TRUE they were on their way up to the surface.
Is it possible with carbon fiber, that it was slowly crumpling? That's why it was not as definite a loud bang?

I kind wonder in the military is just saying that to down play their capabilities

Having served on classed vessels, corporate culture and the shoreside crew are very much assessed during the annual reviiew, and really dug into on the 5 year re-classification. Everything from recordkeeping to spares management to you name it.
Thanks for the correction. I've added this to my post.

I am a licensed marine surveyor. That just means I've passed a test and my opinion carries a little weight.
Agreed for what you can see and test. But non-destructively determining what is going on inside a thick carbon fiber composite structure like this can likely only be done through advanced x-ray scanning.

Thanks for the correction. I've added this to my post.

Agreed for what you can see and test. But non-destructively determining what is going on inside a thick carbon fiber composite structure like this can likely only be done through advanced x-ray scanning.
Yes, I was agreeing with you. Just because a marine surveyor surveyed it means bupkis. Marine surveyors are in the same category as home inspectors, only less trustworthy IMO.

I have paid and bullied surveyors into changing their findings.

If it's TRUE they were on their way up to the surface.
Is it possible with carbon fiber, that it was slowly crumpling? That's why it was not as definite a loud bang?

I kind wonder in the military is just saying that to down play their capabilities
The difference between a suspected and confirmed implosion was finding the debris, not the size of the bang.

And no, this structure couldn't have slowly crumpled under those conditions.

Yes, I was agreeing with you. Just because a marine surveyor surveyed it means bupkis. Marine surveyors are in the same category as home inspectors, only less trustworthy IMO.

My boats are always worth at least 10 percent more. :)

Can we hope that any of the recording devices might have survived the event? Not intact, of course, but sufficient for memory to be recovered?

Is the statute of limitations up?

Can we hope that any of the recording devices might have survived the event?
I don't think it matters. This isn't like a plane crashing for unknown reasons.

We know the cause here was complete structural failure. The only major engineering question is where the failure occurred. Since both titanium end caps were discovered in the debris field, we can already be reasonably certain that the carbon fiber section failed. More detailed analysis will come from examining any pieces of the hull they can pick up.

Back
Top Bottom