Tips to Fix This Pic!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

widarecu

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi guys,

I'm just a beginner on the underwater photography, I just got my second underwater camera after drowning my old one :wink:

Now I have a Canon S90 + Inon Z240 (my first strobe, what a difference!!) and just came back from Dayang - Malaysia testing it for the first time :)

This is one of the pics I got after converting it from RAW to JPG, but I'd like to hear your suggestions in how to make it look better, specially, how can I remove the backscatter from the blue??

IMG_0605_MOD.JPG

Thanks in advance for all your help,

Wilson

Nice shot. If you have photoshop, use the healing tool, as it doesn't look like you have a ton of backscatter to remove. You could also use the automated backscatter removal tool, easy to find on the web. Try this link to find the automated removal tool. Downloads

Nice pic! Will you re-post when it is fixed?

I use photoshop elements to take out backscatter. You can use the heal tool or the stamp tool to remove unwanted material. I agree with everyone else that it is a very nice picture.

Regards,

Bill

Thanks guys, it was the one that came better from like 500 that I took :wink:

I'm getting Photoshop now to try your suggestions, I'll post the final result .... hopefully comes better :D

You can download a tryout of photoshop at Adobe.
If you have no experience with Photoshop i suggest the easier and cheaper Photoshop Elements or the free GIMP software.

Chris

Just remember, removing ALL the backscatter will make it an unreal picture. In the real world, there is stuff floating in the water :)

If it was me I may do something like the below. You have a lot more more options as you are working with the original but this took about two minutes in lightroom. If you didn't want the crop you could keep it the way it is and just remove the larger backscatter objects with the spot remover and it would be a great image still.

Attachments

• 20100708-IMG_0605_MOD.jpg
    20100708-IMG_0605_MOD.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 261
The colors are nice and it's in focus. Those are the hardest things to correct. I think the composition could use some tweaking, though. I would crop the bottom and the right side only, and leave the negative space on the left and at the top. You might also consider burning the bit just above the bubble coral so that it's not so prominent.

The key is to minimize backscatter in the first place by keeping your strobe as far away from the lens as possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom