Tips to be well prepared for IDC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

exposure

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi There,

I am thinking of doing the IDC Course to be OWSI and then maybe later to progress to MSDT and then TECREC (I am already Tec Deep Diver and will continue in parallel to the IDC). My first idea is not to change my job but more to help some dive shop and learn how to teach what I love. Later maybe if one day I have to change my job, why not.

So, I'd like to have your view/ideas of what to do to be prepared before the IDC/IE. By that I mean, what can or should I start working before going to the IDC period. I know that I'll have to work a lot on the encyclopedia of diving for the theory but what else? Is the IDC Crew Pack really useful to start or should I wait to buy it for the IDC?

For info, I did the Divemaster course already, so I have all manuals including the Instructor Manual, the encyclopedia, the knowledge workbook and my last EFR Refresher has 1 month.

I already know with who I will do it, but I'd like to have a view of people who did it and have some tips to share.

Thank you in advance for your advices
Yvan

looks like you might have done the new dm cert.
try to find some of the old dm exam stuff as its the same as the instructor exams.

get involved with a dive shop and assist in as many ow and aow courses as possible.

Be very familiar with the instructor manual and standards. Master the theory and as far as practical goes, go slow and deliberate. And if you are thinking tec, keep this in the back of your head...." how can I teach this in mid water and not on my knees". Best of luck!

Right, I did the new cert with 2 errors out of 120 questions. I fell that this one is simpler than the previous that I have prepared before my exam. I did the previous version partially because I didn't find a complete version (mine was a bad photocopy). If some around have old version of that exam that would be great. For the rest, thanks for your tips, I'll start by keeping fresh and improve my knowledge of the instructor manual and standards and try to assist OW and AOW courses. For the Tel, thanks decompression, that's a great tip :)

Start learning all you can about diving, equipment and decompression.
Good books:
Pete Wolfinger's Regulator Savvy (out of print on Amazon)
Vance Harlow's Scuba Regulator Repair

Mark Powell's Deco for Divers

Watching old diving related TV and movies
Cousteau's Silent World

What I would recommend is that you start immersing yourself in diving and all its aspects. The actual IDC is there for shaping you as a PADI instructor and not much else. If you truly want to progress in diving, there is a whole lot of background information that you should be aware of IMO. The PADI Encyclopedia contains a lot of info and it's an easy read but there is a bunch of other stuff that one should know or at least you start to know what you don't know.

FWIW I'm not a tech instructor- not even MSDT- just a lowly OWSI with a few years in the industry.

Start swimming. Hard. Every day.

All the best, James

Thanks supergaijin. Deco for Diver is a very nice book that I already have, a must have. In fact I have started to buy some books before my divemaster course and that really helped me. One in particular "The Physics of Scuba Diving" by Marlow Anderson. To progress after the PADI encyclopedia I have the IANTD one which seems a bit more detailed on physics and physiology and nothing about the environment.

Cousteau Silent's word, how I didn't think about that. I am french by the way :)

Thanks again for these advises.

PS: I'll be near your place by the end of August (in Kandooma Island) for 2 weeks.

1. Be familar with diving theory. If you were properly trained as a DM, you should have a good background. You've done some good reading.
2. Know the standards manual or at the very least be able to find everything quickly. Knowing and staying within the standards is critical.
3. On the skills side of the house, you are expected to be able to demonstrate all skills involve in open water diver training with expertise- don't expect them to train you in these in the IDC. Be prepared to demonstrate the skills slowly and accurately. Find a dive shop to assist with classes if possible. In the IDC, the "student" will likely present problems for which you should be able to address.
4. Dive, Dive, Dive. If your skills are not proficient then you place others at risk.

Last edited:
Here is a good resource for the PADI IDC - on top of all the PADI Materials there is a website dedicated to the course. You can look at all the Skills Demonstrations onlne and there is specific dive theory sections and lots of example questions for your courses. PADI IDC Dive Instructor courses, Dive theory IDC PADI IE exam revision Good luck with your preparation I also recommend the book - adventures in neutral buoyancy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom